When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fully Plated 19th century "Trick" bike - What Might it be?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Attachments

• $_57.JPG
    $_57.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 258
Oooo tempting photo...a little later than heyday but aligned with the cycling beauties phenomena, I should mayyyybe scoop that...
I've got a repro copy of that European fancy cycling book, it is really neat. It's primarily an instructional on how to attempt the more accessible tricks and what to call them with period photos in old cycling halls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very Cool - might be interesting to see a few pages from the book for tricks the members could try - LOL!

I have one of these fancy cycling trick bikes manufactured by Stearns (perhaps a custom model?) Has anyone seen a Stearns catalog featuring this model? It has lugs on the frame and wheels. 26" wheels. Straight forks (no rake). The headset is slotted so that the handlebars and neck can be easily removed while riding. It's geared pretty high as well. Does anyone else have one of these from another manufacturer?

Stearns.jpg

Any thoughts on what the make of this cycle may be?
The rider is Guy Torley, famous "fancy" rider in his day especially in Minn.
Multiple articles refer to his bicycle as a "special make" but do not refer to a particular special maker.
I suppose he could have had any small craftsman build it but there are some relatively distinct features, triple crown fork, nearly no rake by the looks of the fork,
What is he wearing?
What's with the face mask?
Lots of people wear anti pollution masks riding in London, I don't imagine this was a problem back then.

I have one of these fancy cycling trick bikes manufactured by Stearns (perhaps a custom model?) Has anyone seen a Stearns catalog featuring this model? It has lugs on the frame and wheels. 26" wheels. Straight forks (no rake). The headset is slotted so that the handlebars and neck can be easily removed while riding. It's geared pretty high as well. Does anyone else have one of these from another manufacturer?

View attachment 358348

That's a real beauty.

View attachment 358348

did you restore The Stearns yourself?
what color code did you use?
I am in limbo about restoring my 2 The Stearns bikes, (one is olive and the other is the Stearns yellow , both original)
it will be difficult to get the color right and then getting the logo done is the other big big challenge, will have to be hand painted

Back