When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grip removal

-

Andrew Gorman

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
I tried a new (to me) method that has worked very well, Just soak the grip in a container of very hot tap water for about 5 minutes. By then it has softened, and the water has crept in to act as a lube. The grips twist right off! I've been doing this with a bunch of bars that have been sitting in a garage for 20+ years and have had no problems. Worked for me, and is a lot easier than other methods I have tried. It's worked on 1960s plasticy grips and 1930s rubber grips.

That very hot water method does work for those rubber grips. I've used it quite a few times and it softens them up for easier removal.
Wear a pair of gloves so you don't chew your hands up by the twisting action.

Thanks for this. I hate trying to pull stuck grips. Next time I will try this hot water method.

Old cork grips were usually stuck on with shellac- play a heat gun over the bars and they will come off, with some stringy residue. What are your ferrules made of?

I like the heat gun method for all stuck grips of amytipe or situation. Haven't had an issue hurting, splitting, or tearing grips from the bar. Way better then water. Retains the heat and softness longer to break them loose.

Back