When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grip removal

-
A true story:
At my pals house[fellow bike nut] and he had set 4 or 5 complete 26 inch. 1970s Schwinns out on the curb for the junkers. Noticing they all had nice grips on them I asked him," Not saving anything, not even the grips?"
Nice green, gold and black ones. His reply was that he just did not have the time to be messing with them.
I asked him for a 7/8ths. open end wrench and a hammer... maybe it took 5 seconds per bike.. two hits maybe three and they are off. I put a little tape on the open end of my wrench so I don't scratch the bars on a bike I care about.
In all these years I have only damaged one grip, and it was really old and stuck.
Yes there are safer ways and by all means use them, but when you are in a hurry with no hot water, no air compressor......and you don't feel like carting home another junker...
My pal looked at me and said "holy ----!

Rubbing alcohol. get it open a little with small screw driver and squirt a little in, wait a few minutes and presto! They'll slip right off. Also useful for getting tough ones on because, the alcohol will evaporate.

Tinker, I've done the same thing. Smite it a mighty blow and it's done. Field stripping bikes on junk day and out in the woods I have chipped and split some grips.

I tried a new (to me) method that has worked very well, Just soak the grip in a container of very hot tap water for about 5 minutes. By then it has softened, and the water has crept in to act as a lube. The grips twist right off! I've been doing this with a bunch of bars that have been sitting in a garage for 20+ years and have had no problems. Worked for me, and is a lot easier than other methods I have tried. It's worked on 1960s plasticy grips and 1930s rubber grips.

I always tend to use the hot water method!

hello

i have a pieec of 2x4 about 2x2 and put irt on one side gently tap it put it on the other side tap it alittle harder thenext time swat it good off it comes never messed up a grip yet
chucksoldbikes
on the cab e

Hmmm, I like the water, WD and alcohol method. How about grips that are too large, how do you fix that (other than electrical tape). I have set of grips where one fits perfect and the other is too large....but I like em!

I use a small screw driver to make room to pour a little dish soap in,,,takes less than 30 seconds

Back