When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has anybody recovered a seat in original oilcloth?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

jpromo

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Despite our wishes, most saddles from the mid-30s onward are not actually leather, but a type of oilcloth (the material commonly associated with tablecloths). Restored seats I've seen are always real leather.

I was just wondering if anybody has used original style material to recover a seat? Also if there are any disadvantages or difficulties with it? I can imagine it would be harder to make a taut fit since oilcloth doesn't give like leather does. I think It'd be easier to stitch. Stampings may be more difficult though.

I don't think any of the seat folks do this. I think the problem is there is no source for the material. V/r Shawn

Isn't that what they make those long duster jackets out of?
Oil skin duster's I think they are called.

In the classic jeep world we have been trying to source the original greenish grey oilcloth for the seats for a long time with no success...so I have a feeling it is not available in any color.

Isn't that what they make those long duster jackets out of?
Oil skin duster's I think they are called.

Yeah, them Aussie jackets!

Modern tablecloths will be PVC and would always retain a certain glossiness that may not look quite right, although they're available with the right pattern. True oilcloth or waxed cloth would gain patina and a natural looking finish.

Looking closely at my saddles, some have a thatch pattern that is obviously cotton treated some which way. Then some have a cracklature impression and I have no idea what materials would have produced that.

Best I've found for a source with a little bit of searching would be something from here: http://www.britishmillerain.com/products/apparel-accessories

Then there's a woman on etsy who says she found a source most like the Australian fabrics. Too bad it doesn't seem she has it in black: http://www.etsy.com/listing/94030367/ashen-grey-swatch-med-weight-waxed

I don't see advantages to oil cloth other than originality for some seats. A good piece of leather of the right thickness will last longer if maintained correctly, will wear better when riding, and be more readily available in the marketplace. My material of choice for seats is a good piece of automotive upholstery leather. You can get sheets of it for a decent price if you look for scrap overage from bulk sellers.

Look on ebay for a cheap black duster and cut it up and use that.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk

I don't see advantages to oil cloth other than originality for some seats. A good piece of leather of the right thickness will last longer if maintained correctly, will wear better when riding, and be more readily available in the marketplace. My material of choice for seats is a good piece of automotive upholstery leather. You can get sheets of it for a decent price if you look for scrap overage from bulk sellers.

I think the point here is trying to go for originality. If a bike was originally equipped with an oil cloth seat and you use leather then technically it isn't restored although to 98% of us this would be acceptable since the original material isn't available. V/r Shawn

I think the point here is trying to go for originality. If a bike was originally equipped with an oil cloth seat and you use leather then technically it isn't restored although to 98% of us this would be acceptable since the original material isn't available. V/r Shawn

It's quite acceptable as a restoration to me as well! I'm just thinking that any seat I'd personally recover would be for an original patina bicycle. The duller finish and look would be more of an appropriate fit.

I thought it'd be an interesting and helpful conversation to have since I've never seen it discussed.

Back