When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has Anyone Added A New Sturmey Archer X-fd Front Expander Brake

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

mcode

'Lil Knee Scuffer
Hi -everyone --i have a schwinn black phantom and i would like to know if anyone has added the new sturmey archer x-fd or the xl-fd to the front brake. If no one has done it can some one measure the front large flange brake expander so i can can see if it can dimensionally fit .

Need the width of the brake expander and the diameter from the spoke hole to corresponding spoke hole on the flange. (same side)-also do the front brake expander wheels use the same size spokes on the s-2 wheels as the regular hub.

Thank you and all i want to do is stop the bike in a more controlled manner.-so i do not run over my 5 or 7 year old kids.

Properly service that ND or Bendix and you won't need a front brake! If no answers by this evening I'll measure one of mine. Spokes are the same. V/r Shawn

Thank You -freqman1 ----the other reason i need a front brake is do to my lack of leg strength from my fun time when i had cancer --thank again everyone.

Here ya go! Forgot you asked about the measurement from spoke hole to spoke hole. Kinda had to eye ball it with the axle in the way but center-to-center looks like 3 7/8" to me. V/r Shawn

DSC_1195 - Copy.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks- is it possible to get the measurement of the hub where it sit in the inner part of the fork (total width) and the -diameter of the flanges

thank you

Of course it will fit. I've run the sturmey and the far superior sachs/sram drums on my riders for the last 20+ years. The modern drums are 100mm width, the same as modern front fork dropouts and pretty much the same as what these old bikes have up front as well. The axle diameters on the new drums are larger than the original ones, so you may need to file out the front dropout a bit wider to fit. Sometimes the truss rods need a little clearance as well. You will typically have to make some form of modifications to accommodate the axle size

The crux of your question seems to revolve around spoke length? In other words can you reuse the stock vintage spokes on the modern hub? Plenty of spoke length calculators on the interwebs for that, and they will have the modern hub dimensions you are seeking.

Try to find an older sachs/sram if you can. Definitely go with the XL version of the sturmey if you go that route, the regular one is pretty puny. Then secure another S-2 in similar condition to your bike and have a reputable shop build an entire new front wheel. Then you have your original for, well, originality. I use a prewar Schwinn lever with my sram drum and it works great.

My .02 - Why not just find an original Schwinn drum, possibly already laced up on an S-2? They come up relatively often, there are a couple on ebay right now. They brake pretty well if the shoes aren't polluted with grease, but there are places to get the shoes relined so really no worries there either. Probably end up around the same cost in the end as retrofitting a new one, but with the added bonus of originality and no mods to the fork.

Best of luck either way, and please post up your solution one way or another for us to enjoy!

Last edited:
Thanks for that info- i have used the spoke calculator and i have found that the sturmey archer xl- fd that has a 90 mm brake shoe is good for a 269.8 mm left spoke and 270.4 mm for right spoke with 81% spoke tension --the x-fd that is 70 mm brake shoe is good for a 270 mm spoke with 100% spoke tension. -----i am on the fence on which one to buy -the stock s-2 spoke is 269 mm. - I WOULD LIKE TO BUY THE BIGGER ON OBVIOUSLY

THAT IS WHY I NEED THE MEASUREMENT OF THE STOCK HIGH FLANGE DIAMETER SO I CAN COMPARE -SO PLEASE FREGMAN1 CAN U MEASURE IT FOR ME

AND YES I WILL BE USING ANOTHER S-2 RIM WITH EXTRA SET OF S-2 SPOKES I HAVE
ALSO I DO NOT WANT TO PAY 350 DOLLARS PLUS FOR AN ORIGINAL BRAKE EXPANDER (NO CABLES OR LEVER INCLUDED)
THE STURMEY ARCHER IS 54 OR 57 DOLLARS

THANKS EVERYONE FOR ALL YOUR INSIGHTS AND HELP

Thanks for that info- i have used the spoke calculator and i have found that the sturmey archer xl- fd that has a 90 mm brake shoe is good for a 269.8 mm left spoke and 270.4 mm for right spoke with 81% spoke tension --the x-fd that is 70 mm brake shoe is good for a 270 mm spoke with 100% spoke tension. -----i am on the fence on which one to buy -the stock s-2 spoke is 269 mm. - I WOULD LIKE TO BUY THE BIGGER ON OBVIOUSLY

THAT IS WHY I NEED THE MEASUREMENT OF THE STOCK HIGH FLANGE DIAMETER SO I CAN COMPARE -SO PLEASE FREGMAN1 CAN U MEASURE IT FOR ME

AND YES I WILL BE USING ANOTHER S-2 RIM WITH EXTRA SET OF S-2 SPOKES I HAVE
ALSO I DO NOT WANT TO PAY 350 DOLLARS PLUS FOR AN ORIGINAL BRAKE EXPANDER (NO CABLES OR LEVER INCLUDED)
THE STURMEY ARCHER IS 54 OR 57 DOLLARS

THANKS EVERYONE FOR ALL YOUR INSIGHTS AND HELP

I'll try to get to it tonight--you don't have to yell! I'm no expert but I don't think a mm either way is going to matter too much. V/r Shawn

Back