When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hawthorne Comet Reference Thread

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

scrubbinrims

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
In doing some research, the Hawthorne "Comet" model had a long run of manufacture beginning prewar (1938?) and into the 40's post war and was built both by Cleveland Welding and HP Snyder.
Cleveland Welding built a Comet in both the bent tank and 3-gill frame variations...possibly in the same year.
Many different paint detail and options appeared over over time in addition to the frame/tank variations I would like to captuer in this thread, so please post literature or your Comet here.

This Comet according to the orginal owner was purchased in 39, the first year for the shockmaster fork and also consistent in the chainring before the torque-star ring transition in 1940.
Rarely, do I find a bicycle in original and complete condition as this (right down to the Riverside Mate tires), so I thought it would be a good idea to group this models together for a future reference.
Maybe not a high end offering by Montgomery Ward, but a solid one and I personally love the embossed comet in the tank and without the headtube color contrast, it is different than how most other bicycles were painted at the time.

So, a 1939 3-gill CWC variation:

DSCF2632.jpg
DSCF2633.jpg
DSCF2634.jpg
DSCF2626.jpg
DSCF2635.jpg
DSCF2631.jpg

Chris

DSCF2632.jpg

DSCF2633.jpg

DSCF2634.jpg

DSCF2626.jpg

DSCF2635.jpg

DSCF2631.jpg

I think the comet first appeared in the catalogue in 38...certainly possible it was made before and one of the reasons for starting this thread to get more information.
Really nice bike and I like the speedo, which is very unique!
Chris

I'm glad you got this bike while everyone was chasing that gill-nose Colson, It looks way better than the pictures on auctionzip.

Thanks for posting...that's a great bike!
Interesting we have 2 different Comets offered the same year in 39 from separate makers and yours has the CWC shockmaster fork does it not?
Also curious if that tank has the comet embossed?
Chris

Here's my Synder built '39 Comet. I bought from Gip Barnell the boy who got it from Santa. All original with original type red pointy grips, pedals and tires as the only items changed from Christmas 1939.

And how cool is that to have the original photo as well?

Originally posted by Phil Marshall, and a great run down of Synder vs. CWC built Hawthornes:

"I think it is interesting how different the 1939, 1940 and 1941 Snyder bikes are.

The 1939 has upswept stays, a curved down tube a la CWC, and a seat binder that pinches the stays. It uses a smooth sided no-door/no groove “bent-tank” which may or may not (I’d like to know) be the same pressing as the one on BW’s CWC bike.

The 1940 has un-curved chain stays and a straight down tube. (An entirely different and marginally larger frame than the 39) It retains the seat stay pinch design for seat post retention but the tank is based on a version of the Snyder/Harris crescent tank, (probably McCauley stamped) it mirrors the general shape of a CWC 3-gill tank with no kink toward the rear.

The 1941 is very similar to the 40 (and I believe will use the same tank) but the curved down tube has returned. The new feature is the return to a more common (for the period) use of a welded on seat post binder clamp.

I won’t go into the rest of the sheet metal save for the fact that the Snyder bikes all use essentially the same fender and stay stampings while the CWC bikes have their own, proprietary units.

The CWC Shockmaster springer was standard on some Hawthorne models and could be ordered as an option on many more. It was used all sprung Hawthornes, both CWC and Snyder, before Hawthornes began also using the Snyder designed/built plunger type springer. The evidence so far suggests that the Snyder unit was only used on Snyder built bikes and the contemporary Hawthornes from CWC continued to use Shockmasters.

I’ll dig up a picture, from LeMay of one other prewar “Comet” variant, the CWC 3-Gill Comet and post it for comparison later. "

My Synder frame '39 Hawthorne Comet does have the CWC springer fork (nice ride) and it has a smooth 3 gill tank. The bike is well built and kinda heavy so the ND 2 speed hub is a very welcome option.

Back