When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heavy Duty Fork Spring Installation

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

ADReese

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Hi Everyone! I'm installing a heavy duty whizzer style fork spring in the springer fork of my '50 Schwinn Panther. My question is, are there different diameter inner retainers for each end of the whizzer spring versus the standard spring? The whizzer spring has larger diameter openings on each end and the stock hardware is too small to retain the new spring. Thanks for your help!

20160518_160839.jpg

20160518_160845.jpg

Last edited:
THERE IS ONLY ONE SIZE FRONT AND REAR RETAINER SETS FOR BOTH EARLY SCHWINN SPRINGERS.
YOUR SPRING MAY BE A LOOKALIKE ONE.
OR MAYBE YOU HAVE THE WRONG BOLT THAT GOES THRU THE SPRING AND YOKE.

Thanks for the reply. Here is what I am working with. The heavy duty spring came from the schwinn store on ebay. The bolt is the one that came with bike and uses a 9/16" wrench. I have installed the old nut inside the new spring and it is too large to snug down on that end also. Both ends of the spring have large diameters, that's why I was thinking there may be different hardware that I am missing.

20160518_180925.jpg

20160518_180632.jpg

20160518_180608.jpg

Last edited:
Oh, see that's not a Schwinn part!
Awesome catch on that, wouldn't that spring allow the fork to wobble at speed because of the inside diameter is not matching the outside diameter of the bolt?
It just doesn't fit.

The spring looks like the problem to me. Send it back to Craig and get your money back.

Edit: I have never purchased one thing from that outfit and never will. Phantom and Panther, same fork.

Last edited:
I would return it.

If a part on eBay says NOS and they have a very many of them, I'd get out my Sherlock outfit on.

Back