When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help identifying my circa 1900 Motorcycle built out of an old Tandem

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Jkoller1

'Lil Knee Scuffer
IMG_7448.JPG
IMG_7356.JPG
I know this is motorcycle related... but I'm hoping you guys can help. I've been trying to determine the builder of this early motorcycle for almost 20 years now. I believe it to be a "jobber" build or one by a machinist and blacksmith for himself.

I'm hoping you guys might be able to help me ID the frame, or what's left of the old courting tandem that it's built out of. I know it's a slim chance, but I figure it's worth a shot. It uses a fauber hangar and sprocket, and I believe there is the number 654 stamped on the bottom of the hangar. There may be more, but it's obstructed by an extra support for the engine

I believe it to have been built in the St Louis area, possibly Alton Illinois if that helps in any way?

I believe they used the front habger and frame section from the girls portion of the frame, and then used the original front bicycle fork to make the upper section of the rear frame. The rest appears to be home made... and quite beautifully I might add.

Thanks in advance!

Johnny

IMG_1762.JPG
IMG_1759.JPG
IMG_6686.JPG
IMG_6688.JPG
IMG_7788.JPG

There's a large and very knowledgable Facebook group that may be able to assist your i.d. on this bitchen machine:

Motorcycles 1867-1930

https://www.facebook.com/groups/654324954604252/

Yeah I belong to that one, really sharp guys. I figured out its made with a set of engine castings that a guy named Harry R Geer in St Louis bought wholesale from Glenn Curtiss and resold as his own engine called the Little Giant.

I would just love to figure out what brand of bicycle the guy started with when he built it. The patent dates on the sprocket are 1898 so I have to figure it's probably 1898-1905 or so?

Not seeing how this started as as courting tandem with that solid top tube --I am thinking this is built with a series of stock lugs just for this bike - quiet a few one offs followed the very early European long wheel base designs years ag I had a like period bike that was carved out of a tandem =this bike is a lot more of a talented build

Back