When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help Identifying Year/model

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

motobuilder

On Training Wheels
Hey guys, new to the forum here and looking for some help. I came across a schwinn bicycle at my local flea market that caught my eye as a potential new project. I build custom motorcycles and on my last build I drew a lot of inspiration from board track racer bikes. I thought itd be cool to build a more correct take on one and then came across this bike. The guy wants $100 for it and it seems its in good condition and all very restorable. I spent an hour trying to find the model online and found nothing similar. Can anyone help me identify the year and model? And maybe what they typicall go for. Ive attached a pic of the bike...and what itd end up looking like if i get my hands on it :) thanks in advance guys!

20160206_152957.jpg

ehuruvep.jpg

u3y3asen.jpg

Thanks for the reply dave. Unfortunately i didnt think to grab a serial number off the bike while I was there. I just snapped a pic and figured id mull it over and try and do some research and go back tomorrow. After leaving this afternoon its been bugging me i didnt just buy it. I have the worst luck with waiting and having things swiped while im hmming and hawing over a purchase.

62 Skipper.these are middleweight bikes with a slightly narrower rear section than the straightbar ballooner frame in your other picture.
I would find something a little less rare to customize.the frame on that bike is a one year run,called a twin straightbar.another early take on that frame ran from 59-61 and the twin bars didn't run from the headtube to where the rear axle dropouts are.the Typhoon models for 62 are much more common and can be had fairly cheap,or maybe you can find an earlier bike,maybe a tornado.59 to 62 were the years for the twinbars.

Two tone frame, and chrome fenders, definitely a Skipper. Probably a late '61 build date on the frame.

Your Bike is definitly a late 61 Skipper . Mid way through 61 the frame changed to the continuous twin bar design that was known the next year as the '62 Typhoon frame. Here is a red 26 inch early '61Skipper next to a late ' 61 24 inch black Skipper .
skippers.jpeg

Your Bike is definitly a late 61 Skipper . Mid way through 61 the frame changed to the continuous twin bar design that was known the next year as the '62 Typhoon frame. Here is a red 26 inch early '61Skipper next to a late ' 61 24 inch black Skipper

Thanks for that info!

Back