When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help With Balloon Dlx?

-

Ted Arnold

'Lil Knee Scuffer
Hi all, long time shop guy, bought this Schwinn from original owners grandson who didn't seem to have really great recall of details. Grandson had painted Black to keep rust from further damage and I'm struggling to get accurate bead on the pile of parts and model. I know front wheel, saddle, and pedals were replaced.

Rear wheel is New Departure Model D, but frame has welded on kick stand. Cranks have proper markings and code is 18 I believe. I can see some yellow on frame, fork had stripes I can see under black rattle can. Not sure yet. My thoughts are restore, may not go original route and will instead use as display/promo for my business which is restore and fabrication based.

Any help appreciated. Seems maybe cobbled together, not sure. More than anything a better bead on frame production date, serial number in pics, just got confused when looking at charts.

Images here

It sounds like a postwar model.
Probably late 40s early 50s.
Image tab didn't work for me. I'm sure it's something that I'm doing wrong on my end.
Post a picture if you can.
I'm sure we'll be able to figure out what you've got.

The link takes me to your website--I looked under bicycle related and didn't see anything. Post pics of the bike here and I'm sure we can help. V/r Shawn

I would recommend doing a mild modern build to show off what can be done with an older frame and newer components, Im sure if you have a shop you have some cool stuff taking up space, build a bike that and show off your building skills.
Something between a modern city hybrid bike and a off Road Klunker comes to mind. Im sure it will be cool, athat is what you need to lure different types of customers.
If it were my bike shop.

basics on a DX
if the kickstand is welded on, it is post 1948ish
If the rear fork drop out holes face to the rear, it is pre 1942
If the the bottom tube to the neck is straight, it is a 1939

a DX is a double camelback style frame, both the upper and center bars have curves in them.

IMG_5733.JPG
IMG_5731.JPG
IMG_5631.JPG
IMG_5734.JPG
IMG_5634.JPG
IMG_5632.JPG

That serial with evidence in photos: late March 1952... Frame is cantilever; so, can NOT be a DX. Not a Phantom either. Appears to be: Schwinn Standard Autocycle.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help guys, I kept getting tripped up, I am hoping I can get black paint off and see what's underneath without destroying any remaining original paint.

Probably Black w Creme Chevrons/accents. Drive head tube and BB bearing cups out... what color is underneath/besides red primer...? Any color left on Fork stem besides red primer?

Highly recommend the GOOF-OFF route. Takes the old crud off, leaves the original.

Mike

It's yellow on the fork and underneath too, not creme turned yellow, but yellow like the 70's Varsity frames. There are traces on seat tube high, fork, and under BB. Thoughts?

Back