When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hendee Mfg Co. / Indian Motocycle Co. Bicycles Information Thread

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
The Bicycling World & Motorcycle Review - Jan. 2, 1904

The Bicycling World & Motorcycle Review - Jan. 2, 1904 - cover page

Hendee to continue to market both motor & motorless bicycles in 1904.

So we know from this Hendee Mfg did market bicycles in 1904!!!!!!!

bicyclingwo4819031904newy_0267_zps4dd817-1.jpg

bicyclingwo4819031904newy_0267_zpsdd37eb-1.jpg

George M. Hendee in 1883

From the December 18, 1902 edition of The Bicycling World & Motorcycle Review, page 343.

bicyclingw4619021903newy_0269_zps8fb8b6c-1.jpg

The Four Greatest American Racing Men - 1902 Article

From the December 18, 1902 edition of The Bicycling World & Motorcycle Review, page 345.

bicyclingw4619021903newy_0271_zpsa17f0e1-1.jpg

It appears the gap is closing...I so wish I had my computer and its data to contributed to this (oh well, I'm told it'll be another week:()

It appears the gap is closing...

But still a pretty good sized gap with no mention of Hendee making bicycles after 1904. It's interesting that there were "reports" that they discontinued making bicycles. Could it be that they actually had stopped making bicycles but still had to sell their back stock? This was when the ABC trusts were crashing and the market was making more than the demand for pedaled machines. If the "reports" were true, it would be harder to sell last years stock as new so it was in their best interests to deny such reports.

INDIAN Thread ... Wow-Wee-Wow-Wow !!!

ALL ... this entire thread is a wonderful work of research and reference. Thanks to all who are
making this possible .. Gary Mc .. Fordsnake .. Chitown and anyone else who made a contribution.

When I have a little time .. I will acknowledge any other major contributor and indicate by name.

(I can re-enter this particular memo thru the "edit" ap)

MANY, MANY THANKS TO ALL !!!!! ........................... patric

1904-05 Oscar Hedstrom "Dean Of Motorcycling" Post Card

1904-05 Oscar Hedstrom "Dean Of Motorcycling" Post Card

Indian memorabilia always amazes me with the prices they bring. If an Indian item comes up you better have a fat wallet waiting if you plan to get it. This postcard sold on ebay for $227 last night. I was thinking $125 would buy it, learning with Indian items I need to double what I think & I might be close not that I would have bid $250 on this item but it is pretty cool. It was damaged by the way, a 1/4 inch strip had been cut off the left side and it still brought $227.

T2eC16NHJIQE9qUHsFi4BRimrpqhzg60_57_zps7-1.jpg

But still a pretty good sized gap with no mention of Hendee making bicycles after 1904. It's interesting that there were "reports" that they discontinued making bicycles. Could it be that they actually had stopped making bicycles but still had to sell their back stock? This was when the ABC trusts were crashing and the market was making more than the demand for pedaled machines. If the "reports" were true, it would be harder to sell last years stock as new so it was in their best interests to deny such reports.

Thats what I'm thinking...Hendee was bigger then life, he always swung to hit a home run. I'm guessing he proliferated his shop with a high volume of bike inventory. After all the first years of the Indian "Camelback" moto cycle was built on a bicycle diamond frame http://www.backfirealley.com/images/indian-single-1904.jpg...it wasn't until 1906 that the company broke away from tradition and introduced its first V-twin factory racer http://www.backfirealley.com/images/1907-Indian-Twin.jpg 1907 was the first production of the v-twin.

Back