When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hiawatha Arrow Colors

-
Your tank looks like the 1940 color scheme which was a little different from the straw or wheat color of the earlier bikes.
Both of the Arrow type and Speedline type bikes were painted in that off white/bone color.
It is my personal favorite of the color choices.
b0e5ee5f4a8369d7e7ee4d3cdc07bea9.jpg
42ae524da016d3ec31e86ecdd16e2b20.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@cyclingday, do you have any reference material to illustrate how these bikes were equipped during their production run? Aren't Gambles store catalogs to show these bikes nearly no-existent? And I'm assuming that this tank design was exclusive to the Hiawatha brand, right?

Just ran across this pic showing an orig paint Arrow with a white/red tank, like mine....

HiawathaArrow.jpg

I have not seen any retail literature for the 1940+ models at all.
They seemed to be surplus issue with no rhyme or reason as to whether they were equipped with a Arrow type tank or the Speedline type tank.
The down tube configuration was also mixed, being either curved or straight with either tank fitted. They all seemed to be painted the same, Off/Bone White and Brick Red. They almost always were badged, Shelby Supreme.
The 1938/39 models adhered to a more strict convention. Straight downtube meant Shelby issue and curved downtube meant Gambles Hiawatha issue.
The individual tank styles of both didnt cross over between the two frame styles.
I'm not sure if the Bone White was used on the earlier models. It can look similar in pictures to the Straw color, but was actually quite different. The Straw color had more of a Butter Yellow hue.

PS. For some reason, the surplus bikes were not equipped with a horn. The lack of a horn button is also an indicator that your tank came from a 1940 model.

Last edited:
Dave
The frame and parts on the frame are earlier 38 and early 39
Check out the seat post clamp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did some digging.... my frame and fenders were both red originally. Accent color appears to have been white.

Here's my seat post clamp... narrow pinched type. My no-nose has a wider clamp. What does this mean? And serial number shown too.

Seat Post Clamp.jpg

Serial Number-Edit.jpg

The tank I have is original red/white.... never seen a complete orig bike in those colors. The red looks muted though.... maybe its just faded.

Here's what I'm working with.....

View attachment 290113

View attachment 290111 View attachment 290112

So you're the guy who got the tank... I had it in my hands, but they wouldn't sell it to me because they didn't know what it was for (or what it was worth), Lady kept mumbling on about it being for the first ever electric bicycle. Oh well, just another greedy antique shop wringing every last dollar out of something.

Back