When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do I remove a skiptooth chain from the frame?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

1959firearrow

Wore out three sets of tires already!
I know how to remove normal chains but in my past ventures with the cheapo pot metal chain brakes I have, old chains made back when stuff was good destroy my tools in a rather quick manner. So any advice or is there a source for a decent tool that you guys/gals have used?

I just took one off a frame by finding the master link and then poping the flat peice on the link off with a flat head screw driver. It was really simple I hope this helps.
Cheers,
Dan

Its the original chain and I didn't find a master link unless they look different for skiptooth chains?

They can be hard to spot but one plate will look a little larger. Usually no tool is needed, just flex the chain sideways inwards at the master and the plate pops off if it is crusty a small flat screw driver helps.

It may not have a master link. If not you need to find a chain tool that is compatable. I have been using one for years that I modified by breaking off some of the tabs.

Well if I was to cut it where can I get a skiptooth masterlink? I want to reuse this chain eventually.

skip tooth chain

Ya, the master link will not have a "keeper" on the outside plate, thats maybe what you are looking for. The o/s plate is a bit larger than the rest of the links..I have to put on my glasses to find it. small flat screw driver, pops em right off, hence the glasses.

K thanks for that tidbit, that is kind of what I have been wondering gonna get the bike out and go over the chain see what I find. Thanks for the info guys!

Back