When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How Many Flavors Of Red Bar Tape Did Schwinn Offer?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

GTs58

I'm the Wiz, and nobody beats me!
I have a 64 Varsity in the odd color Terra Cotta and have been looking for the matching bar tape for a few years now. When I was packing up getting ready to move I opened a bag of red bar tape that I got off eBay a while back and out of the four rolls there was one that didn't look really red. Since I was moving time was running short and never had the chance to really check it out. So how many colors of red did the Flexon equipped lightweights come in? And what is the match for this color red? Notice the red print on the Schwinn bag and the color of the tape. I'm thinking this is TC.

s-l500.jpg

Last edited:
Post it in a pic next to rolls of Flamboyant Red and Chestnut (that looks like Chestnut to me). I don't think Schwinn ever offered Terra Cotta tape in that packaging, but I'm not 100% sure.

Last edited:
Here's the bag. I can say without a doubt that this is not Chestnut. I'll have to dig out my box of bar tape tomorrow to show a comparison with the Flambo/Cardinal Red.

s-l500.jpg

Remove the roll from the bag, set it next to a roll of Flamboyant Red and Chestnut, then take a pic and post it! So far I believe Terra Cotta was last offered in the parts catalog in '67 and at that time it used different packaging and included bar end plugs. If you don't have Flamboyant Red and Chestnut rolls for comparison then send it to me. I'll take a pic of all of them together and send it back. I'd love to get my hands on a roll of Terra Cotta tape even if it was only for a few hours. :)

Last edited:
Okay, here are some pictures of the tape. Looks like I have (left to right) Chestnut, 2-Terra Cotta, Burgundy, Flambo Red, and the last 2 pics show a color on the left that I have no idea what it is. It's surely not Coppertone.

Bar Tape Reds 001.JPG
Bar Tape Reds 002.JPG
Bar Tape Reds 003.JPG
Bar Tape Reds 004.JPG
Bar Tape Reds 005.JPG

Last edited:
Im confused....to me looks like...left to right....chestnut/flam red x2/flamingo rose x2.....

Is there a good chance you flunked art class in Jr. High? :p..;)

By the way, I do have a light purple mixed with my Violet that could pass for Flamingo.

My right is different than yours. I'm facing east, not west. Got it straightened out for ya.

So what do you think, Terra Cotta?

Back