When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Huffman serial number project

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Well put

That clears it up thanks. Wasn't blasting you just trying to understand the mindset of the serial number.
Didn't know H= Huffy.
Thanks Scott

just as further information, the letter usually indicates the model level.basically there was a Dayton level at the top, and the Huffman level was under it. I've seen some others which cloud the issue a little, they're usually indicative of who the bike is built for. something like W for Western Flyer, F for Firestone, etc.

Sorry to stir the pot! I said '65 because I thought he typed the numbers in backwards, but Scott is right. 6H indicates a 1966 model.

stir_potgif-1.jpg

just as further information, the letter usually indicates the model level.basically there was a Dayton level at the top, and the Huffman level was under it. I've seen some others which cloud the issue a little, they're usually indicative of who the bike is built for. something like W for Western Flyer, F for Firestone, etc.

Really? You mean like a 1964 Huffy built Western Flyer has had "4W" in the serial? I've got a Monark, a 1961, and its numbered like any other Huffy?

That clears it up thanks. Wasn't blasting you just trying to understand the mindset of the serial number.
Didn't know H= Huffy.
Thanks Scott

Being the young 18yr old bicycle scientist I am, I would like hypothesize something on the 1970s-1980s Huffys. I often see "HC" in the serial number on the head tube. I've come to the conclusion that this means "Huffman Corporation". I also parted out a 1976 Huffy, cleaned and resold a 1977 and a 78 Sante Fe. If memory serves, the LAST digit in the serial number seems to match up with the last digit in the year of manufacture. Could this be the codes for late model Huffys or an amazing coincidence?

Huffman bought Monark in 1957-58.

I am fully aware of this, hence why I posted it on this thread. But would Monark badged bikes be considered another division? Or a trim level? I'm thinking kinda both. Think of it as GMC and Chevy, Plymouth v. Dodge, or Mercury v. Ford. Another name plate yes, but it seems like more of a trim level when you think about it.

Monark Silver King to Huffy Silver Jet
Monark Spartan to Huffy Corvair/Belair
Monark (?) to Huffy Monza G.T. (A Monark one recently surfaced on RRB)

you look at them and really, the customer was paying for a fancier badge and some extra chrome. Thats it.

Last edited:
I would think by the '70's they had changed the corporation name to Huffy Corp.
as for the trim levels, though it seems counter intuitive, I have seen Dayton badged bikes with an "H" and sure enough if you look at the bike it has Huffman level trim. stuff like painted truss rods, cheaper paint job, etc.

Huffy/Huffman same difference, lol. So I'm guessing after the buyout, Monarks became a trim level, correct?

I believe they were built until 1966, thats the latest I've seen. Even then, this Monark Muscle Bike was on the Muscle Bike Forums. Now, I do know that there was a Monark BMX company in South America...no relation I'm sure.

Huffy/Huffman same difference, lol. So I'm guessing after the buyout, Monarks became a trim level, correct?

I believe they were built until 1966, thats the latest I've seen. Even then, this Monark Muscle Bike was on the Muscle Bike Forums. Now, I do know that there was a Monark BMX company in South America...no relation I'm sure.
Monark became a badge, as did Silverking, most of those were Huffy trim levels.
remember I'm mainly a prewar guy, so I'm not as good in the later stuff.

these are a few examples from the serial number list that kinda demonstrate what I'm getting at:
W6478_5 = 1937 Western Flyer mens (ejlwheels)
A80304 = 1937 Airflyte (37Fleetwood)
N_102578_2 = 1939 National? Twinflex (ejlwheels)
B20138 = 1940 Belknap Hardware Store (shutterbugKELLY)
22261HBW = 1941 Western Flyer (37Fleetwood)

then there are others that don't fit at all, some of these, I think, are people who have changed badges and don't think anyone can tell that they did.

Back