When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Huffy radio bike value

-

oskisan

I live for the CABE
Hi All,

A friend of mine is thinking of buying a Huffy radio bike that he came across and was wondering how much these bikes are going for now. I dont believe this is in my bicycle blue book (not only that but my blue book is 17 years old). Any help you can provide would be appreciated. The chaingaurd is clean with clear silk screening, and the radio does work.

Thanks,
Ken

IMG_2517.jpg
IMG_2529.jpg

I would say a pretty penny to secure that classic.
$500-$700 is my guess.
Nick what do you value yours at?

Bicycle Bluebook???? I want one!!
Where these available at or from?

JD, Pretty sure the one pictured is Nick's. I recognize a couple of his other bikes in the background.

Ken, It is very dependent on condition on this bike but if the radio works & everything is there including all good graphics & good paint like the green one pictured I am thinking $1000-$1500. If the radio doesn't work or is missing, poor graphics remain, etc. the value drops to $500 or much less in a hurry but a really nice example like pictured can demand a nice price. No radio value drops to nothing.

A complete one not in as a good of shape as the green one was on ebay recently but was way over-valued with a Buy It Now of $2000. It didn't sell.

Hope this helps.

Gary

Last edited:
gary...it did look like Nicks but, I doubt he's selling his....tell me it ain't so Nick:eek:

gary...it did look like Nicks but, I doubt he's selling his....tell me it ain't so Nick:eek:

JD, I'm sure Nick will weigh in but I think I remember him saying in a post he might part with it for a super-rare project he is looking for. His is a GREAT example of a very cool bike that should command a very good price if it is the one. - Gary

Well, value depends on a number of things~ condition, completeness, and color. Red is most common, followed by blue. Green is the rarest- and the only other green one we have ever heard of is in a museum. When Nick had his green Radiobike at the Memory Lane and Ann Arbor show last spring, he had literally hundreds of people
stop to look at it and take pictures, all commenting they had never seen a green one. He turned down many offers to buy it, and at the end of the show when Nick went to get the bike out, there were 3 written offers to purchase laying on the floor next to it. We were amazed.

The one that did not sell on ebay for $1200 in August was a blue one, missing some important parts.
A red one sold on ebay a year ago missing the battery pack and antennae for $800.

Call Memory Lane and Jerry Peters at Chestnut Hollow and they will laugh if you ask for the battery pack or the antennae, or tank/radio. Hens teeth.

Value of a complete one, missing no parts, in good original condition $1,500-$2,500. More if in pristine condition.

Nick had considered selling his, but it's doubtful. :)

Darcie
(PS Nick's radio does not work, and according to an antique and vintage radio repair guy, the transistors are fragile in these radios and would likely blow if you powered them up, and the voltage and battery are tricky. Have never seen one that works. Put an ipod in the battery tray!)

Last edited:
I would say a pretty penny to secure that classic.
$500-$700 is my guess.

Bicycle Bluebook???? I want one!!
Where these available at or from?

The Blue Book is dated and kind of all over the place on prices. A couple of things of note though it does include the lot # and price sold of the Schwinn collection in 1997. It also has bits of history interspersed throughout and has a fairly diverse coverage of makes and models BTW pg 140 does show the Radio Bike and lists it at $1200-2500. I don't know if this is still in print but you should be able to find a copy--try MLC. V/r Shawn

PS Nick's radio does not work, and according to an antique and vintage radio repair guy, the transistors are fragile in these radios and would likely blow if you powered them up, and the voltage and battery are tricky. Have never seen one that works. Put an ipod in the battery tray!)
I can't imagine a vintage radio repair guy saying that! RadioBikes had very simple radios that used 3 tubes - NOT transistors. And there is no power supply since they run on batteries, so no electrolytic filter capacitors to go bad. I have one that works in my RadioBike and it actually works quite well considering it only uses 3 tubes. The only problem I've had is that there is a little corrosion inside the key switch so it sometimes won't turn on without turning the key several times. Another issue is the 67-volt battery, but you can just plug 7 or 8 nine-volt batteries together and that'll supply 63 or 72 volts, which is close enough!
Here's my RadioBike: http://www.gifarmer.com/bike/bike_huffy_radiobike.shtml

Well, value depends on a number of things~ condition, completeness, and color. Red is most common, followed by blue. Green is the rarest- and the only other green one we have ever heard of is in a museum. When Nick had his green Radiobike at the Memory Lane and Ann Arbor show last spring, he had literally hundreds of people
stop to look at it and take pictures, all commenting they had never seen a green one.
I wonder if green is more common here in Minnesota, and blue less common. I've never seen a blue one in person, but know of another green one in a collection here (see photo of red & green versions from 2004 Fall bike ride), plus I've seen at least 2 more green ones on eBay (see photos). Still, the green ones definitely seem rarer than the red ones.
greenhuffy1.jpg
radiobike_green1.jpg
IMG_4414.jpg

Last edited:
I just bought a crusty red radiobike at iron ranch for $300.
It was missing the battery and antena. I'm very happy with the bike.
He also had a green one that as complete with blue fenders. Asking for $750
It didn't sell

Back