When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I couldn't wait!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Harold (Pete) Allen

Finally riding a big boys bike
I haven't been on a bicycle since the late 70's, early 80's. I am going onto 77 years old. This past summer I found a well preserved 1929 Hawthorne that belonged to my wife's 89 year old cousin. He gave it to me and I brought it home. In the mid 40's he had remodeled it with new 26" wheels, and fenders. He also painted it blue. I have been working on it off and on for the past 4 months or so. My plan is to restore it to nearly new condition and make a rider out of it. I have found most of the parts and pieces from various CABE members (and I thank you). About a week ago I put on the 28" tires I had bought and aired them up.
It was time to test ride it. I didn't want to get far from the house with it so I went to the end of the driveway and turned around and came back to the garage. That's one trip! I went to the end of the drive again and the rear tire went flat. I got off and looked at it. It was flat! I pushed it back to the garage and found that the stem had pulled out of the tire, so I went back to WTB and was looking for 28" chain tread tires.....low and behold, there were 2 listed for sale (NOS) and I bought them. They have not arrived yet.
Today, in Fort Scott, Ks. the temperature was 75 degrees and my bike has a flat, non fixable tire and I wanted to go for a ride. (I'm getting the fever)! The answer was to put the 26" tire back on and go for a ride. As you can see I did and I rode about a mile, for my first ride in 35 years or so.

IMG_8431.JPG
IMG_8432.JPG

Back