When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

IGH Road Bike Build

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

wrongway

I live for the CABE
Someday I'd like to build a Road Bike with a three speed or 4 speed hub. I have both in my parts pile. I might go with Lauterwasser Bars. I currently have a 1969ish Raleigh Sports model that a P.O. converted to a road bike. Not very comfortable at all! About once around the block and my wrists/hands are killing me! I had, in the past, a Raleigh Record Ace Mixte and it was so comfortable that I could ride it for hours. I sold it because it was actually a bit short for me.
My question here, then is, what would make a suitable, comfortable frame for a 6' man? I'm hoping for a lugged frame. Would I also need spacers in the back for the IGH?

Inseam is probably a more important measure than height.
My buddy and I are both 6'3", but I'm all limbs and he's all torso.
I like a 62-65cm (25") frame with 60 cm top tube or less, and he goes for a 58cm (23") frame with longer reach.

He built this nice old Schwinn with a 2-sp Auto SRAM hub - it is an IGH, but essentially, any IGH would build the same way.
564feffd-2c82-47ed-bfab-84694567fa3d.jpg

He also built this Miyata mixte for his wife with a Nexus (7 or 8?).
sorry I don't have a better photo
IMG_0901.jpg

The lug spacers in the rear are easy - readily available.
If you can find an old derailleur frame that uses the add-on derailleur hanger, remove the hanger, and it will have perfect lugs for an IGH.
You may have to cold-set the rear triangles to get the dropout spacing you need, but easy to do on straight-gage steel frames.

Back