When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'm Stuck - Requesting help on Elgin/Musselman rear Hub

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Buster1

Wore out three sets of tires already!
So I received my replacement part (the grooved race) as the old one was totally shot.

Unless I have this wrong, I cannot get the bearing past that first ridge on the left. I assume the bearings roll in the wide deeper smooth groove just over or to the right the first ridge on the left. Does that make any sense? Anyone know if I have this right or wrong, and if there is a way to get the bearing cup pushed over the ridge?

Help!

IMG_4585-1.jpg

IMG_4584-1.jpg

Yep,
You've got it right.
The flat side of the retainer facing out with the balls in the retainer and push just like you're having a kid. It will snap into place.
I think the bearing should be a Hartford, so make sure you have the right bearing. That could be the problem.

Definitely put bearings in, grease well (on bearing race too), balls in and push until it snaps into place. I've done a bunch of those.

It looks to me like the bearing race is backward,Put the bearings in and try putting the large side on.If you force the small side on dont it look like the bearings will fall out.

Gene,

The retainer is not backward. If I flip it around to wide end first it doesn't seat in the hub race at all. Gotta go narrow end 1st.

Back