When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jc Higgins Coaster Brake Rebuild

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

bairdco

I live for the CABE
Got a bunch of old hubs to rebuild, so I figured I'd do some step by step tutorials.

First up is the JC Higgins coaster, which is pretty much identical to the Musselman hub.

Here's the exploded view of all the parts in order:

20160608_194632.jpg

Leave the spring steel collar on when cleaning, and assemble the driver parts so the serrated gears are together.

The spring steel collar is about the only part in these hubs that can fail, and if you put the smaller driver on backwards, your hub won't work.

20160608_194719.jpg

20160608_194747.jpg

The threads on the axle are longer on the sprocket side:

20160608_200318.jpg

Here's the guts cleaned and assembled:

20160608_194945.jpg

Great details.Thanks.
I have this Higgins that needs cleaning & lubrication.
f4oa3n.jpg

I was able to remove the brake arm.
2wgr91g.jpg

But from here on the parts need something to loosen them.
What do you recommend?

Also what do you use to keep this end from rotating while removing the other end?
2pzmzqf.jpg

A wrench on both sides, or put one side in a vice (the nut, not the axle.)

You'll probably have to jiggle the cog back and forth as you unscrew the other side. The cog will spin itself tight, locking the clutch cone, so you need to keep backing it off into "coast" mode till the other side unthreads enough.

Harder to explain it than it is to do it.

Yeah, I can rebuild one of these in about 5 minutes.

I love these musselman/higgens hubs. Stop perfectly, and virtually indestructible.

Wow, much easier than a New Departure

Bendix are easy too, and Shimano is easier yet. I have always hated ND with those stupid discs.

I just broke open a 3 red band Bendis kickback that has discs...put it aside for now. Not looking forward to the rebuild and it looks much more complicated than the ones with shoes instead of discs.

Back