When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Late 30's/early 40's Claud Butler find

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
you should be riding it.
merlin-p20.jpg

Your bar looks like Sibbit or Bailey - you can measure reach and drop and find out.

Yep, just measured.. Its a Bailey. Nice call!

I just slapped some new tubes in it, wiped it down, and took it for a rip down the street. It has an awesome feel to it. Its crazy light.

Unfortunately I discovered the Reynolds quill has a bad crack at the taper.. What are the chances someone has one laying around?

Jon

1493775765027144580472.jpg

Last edited:
as a road bike collector this is one hell of a ride for me I would clean it up it and show it off at every local bicycle show. That's a wild stem I never seen a Reynolds made stem I know most Claud Butlers were made from Reynolds 531 some even weren't marked with the traditional sticker.

Great find. I just emailed him, thanks for finding those links! I'll keep you all posted and get some action shots at the Detroit Slow Roll once it's fixed.

I polished the chain ring and found no markings. Looks like the two piece chain ring has the bolts brazed together. The rear fixed cog has a paper sticker still on it from a bicycle shop at some point in Its life.

Jon

that's a tough one - I checked Hillary Stone - he doesn't have any like it.
I recommend searching ebay.uk every morning with your coffee until one turns up.

look at this from New Zealand:
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5335809022&icep_item=291723036696

and I looked again at Hillary Stone - much better price on this - 38 quid:
http://www.hilarystone.com/CChandlestems.html
He dates as '40s
CC11-Reynolds-2bolt-8-5.jpg

Hi everyone. Sorry its been a while since I posted. I finally got the new quill... Its the wrong one.... Looks like my original was a two piece design.

The brooks saddle gave up the ghost on my way around the block, all the rear rivets pulled out. I need to get another seat and stem before I can shred the town. Anyone have any insight on either? I'd like to find a good usable brooks at the very least.

Jon

0524172043.jpg

0524172043a.jpg

14956733282001497492229.jpg

It's the top of the fork tube and its tapered too. Would those threadless stems have a tapered bore in them, or is it straight through?

I'm starting to think I can press this stem out of the other quill and just use the top portion on my forks? I might have to give it a shot. That crack was all the way up!

Jon

Is you steerer cracked? if so, you might be best off replacing the fork.
http://www.ebay.com/bhp/tange-fork

That Reynolds stem is sure pretty - would be nice to use if you could.

Have to admit I've ever seen a stem like that. Maybe show what you have to Hilary and see what he thinks?

Last edited:
Back