When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Le Tour - Serial Numbers are weird. Help ID this bike

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

speedmaster99

On Training Wheels
IMG_4295.JPG
IMG_4297.JPG
IMG_4298.JPG
IMG_4299.JPG
IMG_4300.JPG
Just picked this up at a garage sale. The info on Le Tour serial numbers is a little bit complicated.

Wondering if anyone can confirm that it's either a 1978 or 1982? Maybe later? Earlier?

Serial# SD215707
Badge#1182

The frame serial indicates a frame built in April '82 (D2), the badge no. indicates a bike assembled on the 118th day of '82, which was Wed. April 28th, 1982. Catalog page for that year:

1982_11.jpg

Last edited:
So, this looks like it is a late 1982 Chicago built LeTour! Not that those are super rare, but it's not bad for $20!

this post does not explain why the vin are showing different date. I just got a Le Tour III and the vin is showing 1958. Does anyone have any answers on this?

this post does not explain why the vin are showing different date. I just got a Le Tour III and the vin is showing 1958. Does anyone have any answers on this?
You need to do some research to familiarize yourself with the Schwinn numbering system. The post above provides a good quick reference. Your bike was not built in 1958. Post a pic of the bike and serial and I'm sure it can be accurately dated. V/r Shawn

The answer is most likely that you used an online Schwinn serial number decoder that often provides incorrect results (e.g. SchwinnCruisers.com). The LeTour III was a 1978 only model. Post clear close-up pics of the frame serial number and the 4-digit number stamped in the headbadge, these numbers will indicate when the frame was stamped and when the bike was assembled. Here is the '78 catalog page:

1978_14.jpg

Back