When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Like To Build This

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

schwinnguyinohio

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
I'd like to build a bike similar to this one , what years and models used the curved top bar

image.jpeg

Schwinn Speedsters from the 70's. Not an expensive bike. Come in a variety of rear hubs,1,and 3 speeds,get yourself an old varsity from the same era,sissy bar,and a repop schwinn sting ray seat,you're there.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Judging from the scale of the chainrings to frame, wheels and then the gap between the top and down tubes, I'd say the bike in your picture was a small frame 24" wheel Manta Ray or Speedster originally. There is a small 17" frame Racer that had 26's wheels.

1971_25.jpg

Last edited:
Judging from the scale of the chainrings to frame, wheels and then the gap between the top and down tubes, I'd say the bike in your picture was a small frame 24" wheel Manta Ray or Speedster originally. There is a small 17" frame Racer that had 26's wheels.

1971_25.jpg
MantaRay had curved seat stays...Speedster did not.

If the red bike is a Speedster frame I would go with that. I think the straight seat stays are nicer than the curved of the Manta Ray

Good catch on the frame differences Cody. :cool:

The camelback frame Speedster came in a 20" 24" and 26" so you have your choice of frame/wheel sizes. I still think the custom in your picture is a 24" and it looks better than the 26" IMO. There is someone here that did this to one with the 26" wheels.

Last edited:
Good catch on the frame differences Cody. :cool:

The camelback frame Speedster came in a 20" 24" and 26" so you have your choice of frame/wheel sizes. I still think the custom in your picture is a 24" and it looks better than the 26" IMO. There is someone here that did this to one with the 26" wheels.
I did it back in the day with a 26" camelback collegiate and a breeze for me and my ex wife. Got rid of the bikes, pics, and wife tho

Back