When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

List your toughest task and how you fixed it

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Recently, I had wanted a 26" Juvinile coffin tank. Regular 26" adult tanks were too long, so I found a suitable tank (not too good) and cut it down with a fibre wheel, and rebraized together. Turned out great and fits better than factory one!

Well those two and that business where I set the screw, screw driver, or both down somewhere and spend the next 45 minutes looking for it. I hate that crap.

Most frustrating YES! My work areas are always a mess,cluttered at best. Heck my mind is cluttered.I actually say to myself" I am putting this here, and I will remember it", and later I cant find it. Its not just me though. My pal and I were putting a motor together and we could not find the torque wrench we were using. We needed it right away, and got so frustrated looking for it my pal got in his car and sped off to Sears and bought a new one. He wasnt back 15 minutes and I found the one we were looking for on a shelf 3 feet from where we were looking under a rag. we both felt like IDIOTS!:)

Most frustrating YES! My work areas are always a mess,cluttered at best. Heck my mind is cluttered.I actually say to myself" I am putting this here, and I will remember it", and later I cant find it. Its not just me though. My pal and I were putting a motor together and we could not find the torque wrench we were using. We needed it right away, and got so frustrated looking for it my pal got in his car and sped off to Sears and bought a new one. He wasnt back 15 minutes and I found the one we were looking for on a shelf 3 feet from where we were looking under a rag. we both felt like IDIOTS!:)

I'm not necessarily messy, but I start too many projects and have too much going on. I had a potential buyer leave me high and dry on an order for a 1972 Mercury Montego GT front clip. Now, until I can list and sell every individual piece, I have car parts in the garage and in my own bed room. I would, and am damn tempted, to scrap all of it and be done with it and chalk it up as a lesson. But I don't want to take a loss on the junk, either.

For me it's paint and decals. Not because of the work of doing it over, but the $'s that could have been spent on something else. Materials are getting very expensive!

For you messy guys. When things are going rough, stop and clean your work areas up. It's therapeutic, it gives your mind a fresh starting point when the work commences. Dropping the project for the day and cleaning up is even better. Things ALWAYS go better with a fresh head the next day.

I hate lacing wheels.it is very time consuming and if you are not concentrating you will be doing it all over.I fixed the problem by finding someone to do it for me.

Mine was a stuck seat post in a 1978 AMF Roadmaster. My solution? I cut up and parted the bike like Sir William Wallace in "Brave Heart" and sent the remains to the scrap yard.

A stuck seat post can be removed as follows: First apply liberal amounts of PB Blaster around post and let sit. Then, use a slightly larger piece of tubing/pipe that would go over the seat post and sit on the frame seat tube - this will be the basis of your 'seat post puller'.

Attach a chain to the seat post that will fit inside the puller. Use a long eyebolt with nut and washer at the opposite end of the puller and run the chain thru the eye of the eyebolt. The nut and washer will be the means by which you extract the seat post when the nut is tightened.

On attaching the chain to the seat post: The end of the chain can be attached to the seat post by several means. It can be tack welded, it can be attached via a pin drilled thru the seat post. If the seat post is swedged down, a rectangular piece of iron can be cut, attached to the chain, dropped down the post where it will wedge itself when the chain is pulled taunt when extracting the seat post.

When ready, just tighten the nut and the old post will be painlessly removed.

If my description is confusing, this is a photo of a similar contraption I used to extract the stuck seat post of my Harley. Only thing not shown for clarity is the outer puller tube, but you get the idea.

OH

Attachments

• DSCN1596.JPG
    DSCN1596.JPG
    126.2 KB · Views: 154
I don't know Harley. I will give this a try someday if my big trusty pipe wrench and torch fails me. [as it did on a 52 Columbia] However, the scrapyard idea sounds ok too:rolleyes:

I hate lacing wheels.it is very time consuming and if you are not concentrating you will be doing it all over.I fixed the problem by finding someone to do it for me.

Ditto what Vince said, word for word, exactly.

"List your toughest task and how you fixed it"

90% of the tech advice here and on the internet is theoretical. Meaning that 90% of people are passing around completely bogus information, something they read and misinterpreted or just something made up from their imaginations that might work. Real hands on experience is in very short supply. How to fix that? Be aware that just about everything you read is wrong, particularly from those with thousands of previous comments. They spend more time parked in chairs instead of really doing anything. Better to just figure it out yourself.

While sitting in the barber shop on Tuesday waiting for Floyd to give me a haircut I picked up a "home Carpentry Workshop" magazine. One part I was reading was so ridiculous I thought to myself who the heck can write this B.S. Having been a carpenter since 69 I do notice a lot of bad information in these how to do it rags. I also see lots of good stuff too. Things that I have tried and have worked." Gotta take things with a grain of salt" old dad would say.
I have found the information shared here on the CABE is excellent.
Many of us here on the CABE have other hobbies that share the same things in working on a bike.[painting, metal work, leather work etc.] Lots of us have retired from industry and just plain know helpful stuff that works.
I have found that the folks here on the CABE, are especially in love [it's fair to say] with this hobby. And with any passion one accumulates lots of knowledge and it is to our benefit that they share it. The information here is mostly spot on, by lots of dedicated good people.
90 % B. S. on the CABE? NO WAY!
The restoration thread is for posting positive ways for the problems we come across and helpful hints........ Period.

Back