When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Matched set

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

jkent

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
I picked these up today just 4 miles from the house.
Matched set of Schwinn middle weight bicycles.
These will be going up for sale once I get the detailed out.
Not really much work to do on these.
IMG_20151128_152814795.jpg
IMG_20151128_152820210.jpg
IMG_20151128_152834648.jpg
IMG_20151128_163655430.jpg

Great bikes!
Looks familiar! I picked these up a few weeks ago. Haven't had time to clean them up yet.
IMG_1798.jpg

We call them "lightweights" here at the CABE, though road bike people would not call them "light". Road bike people probably would call them "middle" weight or even "cruisers". "Light" is relative. I think of them as "utility" bikes.

Cool bikes, lighweights, early 70's with the mag sprockets (I think.) Pairs like that seem to sell quickly in the right areas.

Not really in my realm of knowledge or interest but they were cheap enough and clean enough I had to pick them up.
So light wieghts they are. Thanks for the help.
JKent

Lightweights had 26 x 1-3/8" tires; middleweights had 26 x 1-3/4" tires. There are pictures of a lady's Breeze and and a man's Speedster in the '70 catalog (both yellow); both under the heading of Lightweights.

Depends on the year and who cataloged them the Schwinn cruisers pages for 64 cataloged the Speedster as a middleweight, 65 they called the breeze a middleweight, s5 or6 tires & Diamond frames puts them in the light weight category, even though if you scale a middleweight and a lightweight they both will come in at 40lbs ,most likely a mis-cataloging of both, but if it's on the internet its true, I am a french model, bon joyer.
http://schwinncruisers.com/catalogs/1965.html

Lightweights had 26 x 1-3/8" tires; middleweights had 26 x 1-3/4" tires. There are pictures of a lady's Breeze and and a man's Speedster in the '70 catalog (both yellow); both under the heading of Lightweights.

Last edited:
Speedsters were classified as middleweights while having a cantilever frame and 1 3/4 tires until 1961, the speedster wasn't mentioned in the 62 catalog, then in 63 they came out with the camelback frame (only) for shorter riders and with 1 3/8 tires, then in the 65 catalog they were classified as lightweights. They wasn't mentioned again in 71, then in 72 they came out with the diamond frame along with the camelback.
Lee

Back