When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mercury Pacemaker Frame Question

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

What do you have?

• Total voters
View attachment 404742
My rear morrow hub says J-4 on it if it helps dating it!
http://thecabe.com/forum/threads/serial-number-and-date-code-information.71542/#post-441223

Morrow Coaster Brake Hub:

Letter and number note the year and quarter of production.
Example: I 3 = produced 1939 July-September

A - 1931
B - 1932
C - 1933
D - 1934
E - 1935
F - 1936
G - 1937
H - 1938
I - 1939
J - 1940
K - 1941
L - 1942
M - 1943
N - 1944
O - 1945
P - 1946
Q - 1947
R - 1948
S - 1949
T - 1950

Last edited:
My reasoning was this: the 1936-1940 Murray-built frames I've had and noted used the shim frame, and the 1939 Pacemaker ad shows shim frame.
Seems 1941 brought the "electroforged" seat-mast/clamp area using the 5/8" post w/o shims.
However, thinking back now, I had a 1941 boys Murray Elgin that used shims, and I think the 1941 Murray-built Miss America uses shims...? The Sears catalog shows both types of frames for 1941.
Now I'm thinking that both types of frames were made at the same time.
Another thing I've noticed from original Pacemaker-type bikes is that the fender differences seem to be consistent with frame style. Anyone else seen this?

1939_mercury_catalogue.jpg
I will confirm 100% your correct on that frame to fender difference statement. I have two bikes that don't have the seat post clamp over the tube style and they have the more peaked at the end fenders. The also have the the three cut outs in the chainring. The racks are also different at the mounting point,much narrower from the lack of the seat post clamp. The question now is why? Are they lower end models? Ones meant for off brands like Gambles and Western Auto and such? Different manufacturer? I thought they were all made by Murray???

Back