When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mid- Late 1930's Crown Tank Bicycle

-
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Alienbaby17

Finally riding a big boys bike
You may remember this bike from this thread....

http://thecabe.com/forum/threads/mi...ppelin-tank-bike-valuation-help-needed.95486/

I thought I had a potential local buyer but it didn't work out so I put it on Minneapolis Craigslist. Someone here found the ad and posted the link so I figured I met as well just list it here.

"Testing the waters" on this one.

This is a Crown badged bicycle. It is very similar to the Hawthorne "Zeppelin" models and was made by the same company that produced them although It does not have the locking fork like the actual Zeppelin models do. Otherwise it's quite similar.

I bought this bike a couple of years ago. At that time it looked pretty rough. (Photo included).

Since that point I disassembled it and tried some naval jelly on most of it. It cleaned up pretty nicely. The accesories (tank, rear rack and chainguard) didn't come out as well as the frame but were still much improved from where they started. I used professional automotive detailing tools and supplies and buffed out the frame. The original paint on that still has a nice shine to it.

I believe everything is still all original to the bike although I could be wrong. The rack, chainguard and wheels all appear to be the same color blue as the bike. The wheels and guard still have evidence of the original white pinstriping on them that match the frame.

I also believe the tank is original to the bike as the paint colors and design match the frame. There is a small area of rust-through on the bottom of one half of the tank where I believe the batteries may have leaked and corroded the metal. The other half of the tank is fine. The battery holder is pretty rotted and probably beyond saving.

The rear rack has some damage. The front mounting tabs are broken off. When I bought it someone had put a small u-bolt the front of it to mount t it under the seat. It also has a couple small holes drilled in it near the front.

Has New Departure rear hub.

I do have the chain for it despite not being shown in the photos. It has been soaking in oil for the last year.

I don't really have the time to ship this right now so I'd prefer a local pickup or I'd be willing to help get it to someone local that would ship it for you.

Listed at $900 or best offer on MPLS Craigslist. Better deals for CABErs.
NOW FINAL PRICE DROP- $650!!!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Back