When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Monark Elgin info please

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Neanderthal77

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Here is a Monark built Elgin I recently picked up from a local caber. Wondering what year this bike would be, also what fender light would be correct? It is missing the cross bar for the handlebars so if one pops up I may be interested. The Morrow hub has P1 stamped on it which is 46? Did Sears use Elgin right after the war? Thank you for any information.

IMG_20170311_161356.jpg
IMG_20170311_161425.jpg
IMG_20170311_161536.jpg
IMG_20170311_161610.jpg
IMG_20170311_162006.jpg

Seems 1/2" pitch was pretty much Monark's thing, so I'm betting the chainring isn't orig.
The carrier looks like Murray/Mercury to me, and the varying shades of red/patina...?
The Elgin badged Monark bikes are sort of oddballs tho, so w/o seeing the bike "as found" we'll likely never know.

So what is it? Murrays and Monark prewar serial numbers are on the of the crank tube. This on the drop out. If you used the serials listed in that link it'd be a 1939.

I vote Monark:rolleyes: Love the customized fenderlight!!

Here's some theme music for you~

I love Elgins, but dont know much at all about the Monark built ones. This is a very cool bike though. My thoughts are: Elgins after 38 didn't use this sprocket any longer. Otherwise the bike has all the tell tale signs of a Monark: fork, Chainguard, fork etc. I think the Morrow hub could be wrong( no expert), but maybe Monark requested the use of it. I'd expect to see a Musselman hub with the use of this sprocket. Wheel set switched out, maybe.im used to seeing the 52 tooth Monark style sprocket on a bike like this.We need an expert to figure this one out.

Last edited:
Back