When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Monark Five Bar Four Bar Superframe 5 Bar 4 bar Thread

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Bill,
That's a fantastic survivor! Could you please provide the serial#? My guess is that is it stamped on the tube under the crank hanger and may start with an "A". If its not there look on the left rear drop out. The handlebars kinda look like the girls bars? Thanks for sharing. I plan to add more soon and hopefully more folks will contribute as my well is a little shallow!

I went down to my gargage to check on a seat clamp for Dave Marko, and I got side tracked looking through some of my boxes. Here's my 5 bar project I had boxed up, maybe one day I'll get around to working on it. ;)

file-1.jpg

file137-1.jpg

file128-1.jpg

file121-1.jpg

file111-1.jpg

file116-1.jpg

This was the frame used to illustrate the darts and pinstriping on Dave's Nostalgic Net
http://www.nostalgic.net/arclister.php?s=arc/Paint%20Layouts/Monark%205-bar/monark%205%20bar%20paint%20layout%206.jpg

Last edited:
For those of you that were following this thread I have not abandoned it but have been pretty busy with work and school. I am also currently away on business for two weeks. I do have some new info to share including a new frame variation and some observations on the badges as well as getting to the rest of the bike to include bars, stems, seats/posts, hubs, fenders, lighting, etc... Fordsnake that is a quite a nice project. I notice you have a set of the Musselman high flange hubs as well. My girls four bar has the front and I just acquired a set of front and rear for my project. The rear hub seems to be especially difficult to find. So far I have only seen the front hub used on four/five bars does anyone know what other bicycles these were used on? V/r Shawn

... Fordsnake that is a quite a nice project. I notice you have a set of the Musselman high flange hubs as well. My girls four bar has the front and I just acquired a set of front and rear for my project. The rear hub seems to be especially difficult to find. So far I have only seen the front hub used on four/five bars does anyone know what other bicycles these were used on? V/r Shawn

I was lucky to find 'em...I bought them last year from another CABE member. They're NOS and have never been installed on rims.
file58-1.jpg

file56-1.jpg

file59-1.jpg

Last edited:
Does anyone have a set of these high flange Olympic hubs for sale ??

I was lucky to find 'em...I bought them last year from another CABE member. They're NOS and have never been installed on rims.
file58-1.jpg

file56-1.jpg

file59-1.jpg

Thought I would ask here - since this is the bike they are needed for -- if you have some for sale - I am looking for my 5 bar project -- RIDE VINTAGE -- Frank

There was a 5-bar here for sale a while back, I wrote the seller and heard not much back. I may still ping him again and see.

What kind of Value do these 5-bars have. Complete and crusty vs fully fixed up?

Thought I would ask here - since this is the bike they are needed for -- if you have some for sale - I am looking for my 5 bar project -- RIDE VINTAGE -- Frank

Musselman high flange hubs -------------

I have an NOS set. But they are not cheap. Catfish

Head set shrinkage

Ok so not really shrinkage but if you ever deal with these frames--ladies or mens you will notice that no matter what headset you try they will all be too small in diameter for the headtube. I finally pulled my original girls bike apart to see what the deal was. Its kinda hard to see in the previous post of the bike in parts but if you look closely at the headset someone made some shims. This is exactly what the factory did. It appears these are about the thickness of a soup can which is exactly what I intend to use. I am attaching some pics of the factory bottom cup and you can see the shim which the factory spot welded to the cup. I'll probably just use a little JB Weld--it just needs to hold it in place enough to get it in the headtube. I hope this helps those of you that have faced this. I'll probably do some more posting on this thread over the holidays. V/r Shawn

Attachments

• DSC_0125.JPG
    DSC_0125.JPG
    263.7 KB · Views: 304
  • DSC_0126.JPG
    DSC_0126.JPG
    249.5 KB · Views: 294
  • DSC_0127.JPG
    DSC_0127.JPG
    254.9 KB · Views: 290
Well

That explains that. Was gonna shim it as a last resort but I gotta little better idea. I have an old set of Elgin square shoulder cups that have a lot of meat on them so I am gonna file them until they fit. I think that this will be an easier fix from a permanency perspective, but both methods will certainly work.

THanks for the pics and research!

Joe

Back