When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need fork straightened

-
REAL easy, fun TO make tool that is amazing to use. the problem with trying to straighten forks is ,if you take them off the bike, and try to correct it you may buckle it in stead of getting it straight. its also hard to gauge how far you have to go with it, and may ruin the fork.
by leaving it on the bike it is bending with the jack , in the confines of the head tube it will not buckle.
the jack pictured is made from a GM car jack. takes about an hour to make. Old ED Boros the "headbadge man" showed me how to make this and it takes less than a minute . the bracket is made from a piece of angle iron that has a notch cut into it where it fits over the bottom bracket. turn the bike upside down. remove the wheel. bolt an old hub into the fork, and bring bumper bracket up to the hub and jack to its straight. I rapped the homemade angle bracket with tape so I dont scratch the paint on the bottom bracket. When I go to a swap I always got it with me to straighten my pals forks, or anything else. also is a good weapon:rolleyes: .View attachment 196568View attachment 196569View attachment 196570View attachment 196571

Good ideas too! I think I'll make one of these.

When I was a kid, had but little too nothing for tools, a crescent, pliers, 1 Philips, 1 flat head a few hammers and a decent vise. But I used to straighten forks yet fer the life of me, I can't recall how I did it, with practically nothing back then. I acquired a 55 Schwinn bike with bent fork and been trying to remember but it ain't coming back. Albiet since I down sized almost 5 year ago, when moved, only have a little crappy clamp on vise now.

I am guessing here but, possibly, I just mounted the fork in the vise, and lifted the frame. I donno, cept when ya got little to nothing fer tools as I did, I got very creative cause; I fixed anything and every thing with them. One way or another I was determined and accomplished the job. .

That GM Jack method is sweet, easy to make too, nice!. Yet I ain't got the space to make another or add another tool like that fer a 1 time maybe twice usage any more. . Plus now that I know the tinker was only joking about using for a weapon, shoot, that's just 1 more reason, not to waste space.

Last edited:
here's how we used to straighten forks back at the shop when we had few tools.
Just mount a bike hook on a wood beam / board and brace it with a 2 x 4 as shown.
after everything is in place just lift up the back wheel
IMG_1019.jpg

IMG_1023.jpg

REAL easy, fun TO make tool that is amazing to use. the problem with trying to straighten forks is ,if you take them off the bike, and try to correct it you may buckle it in stead of getting it straight. its also hard to gauge how far you have to go with it, and may ruin the fork.
by leaving it on the bike it is bending with the jack , in the confines of the head tube it will not buckle.
the jack pictured is made from a GM car jack. takes about an hour to make. Old ED Boros the "headbadge man" showed me how to make this and it takes less than a minute . the bracket is made from a piece of angle iron that has a notch cut into it where it fits over the bottom bracket. turn the bike upside down. remove the wheel. bolt an old hub into the fork, and bring bumper bracket up to the hub and jack to its straight. I rapped the homemade angle bracket with tape so I dont scratch the paint on the bottom bracket. When I go to a swap I always got it with me to straighten my pals forks, or anything else. also is a good weapon:rolleyes:

Thats what I use Tink.I have known Eddie since the late 70's.he has quite a headbadge collection.The car jack cost under $10 to make and works wonders.

Last edited:
fixing the fork

Hey kz1000

I'd like to contact you about fixing my bent fork. It's not bent much, but will probably bother my the more I look at it. The other method with the bike hook also looks interesting.

Thanks jim

I have this handy tool and am local in MA too, Templeton.
zanesbuild006-1.jpg

zanesbuild007-1.jpg

zanesbuild008-1.jpg

zanesbuild009-1.jpg

zanesbuild010-1.jpg

Back