When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help with stamping dates on bars!

-

Nickinator

Riding my '38 Deluxe Bluebird
So I've got this buyer from hell on ebay that bought a set of 1958 Corvette bars from me, that I noted were off a 1958 Corvette, and he's claiming they should be stamped Schwinn- and has accused me of selling 'fake" bars, all because they're not stamped.

Now I know that 1958 bars were not stamped, and were not stamped until mid 60's- and I have given him links to other similar years' bars currently listed on ebay, that are also not stamped. Has not convinced him, and he's just gotten nastier.

I know there was a thread about this awhile ago, but does anyone have any good links that I can use to verify this? Gary?

Thx,
Darcie

So I've got this buyer from hell on ebay that bought a set of 1958 Corvette bars from me, that I noted were off a 1958 Corvette, and he's claiming they should be stamped Schwinn- and has accused me of selling 'fake" bars, all because they're not stamped.

Now I know that 1958 bars were not stamped, and were not stamped until mid 60's- and I have given him links to other similar years' bars currently listed on ebay, that are also not stamped. Has not convinced him, and he's just gotten nastier.

I know there was a thread about this awhile ago, but does anyone have any good links that I can use to verify this? Gary?

Thx,
Darcie

Hate folks like that... a professional told me...bla, bla, bla.

Thx,
Darcie

Search Box:[username] Pedalsnostalgia [post is #15; January 03, 2010; Thread: Jaguar Project Part two (continued)].

So, this is just one entry; but, hope it helps... pappy

Need to add: I've got about 5 ballooner Schwinn from 1946-1953; ten or more middle weights [includes two twinn] from 1957-1973 and one late 1961 Jag has WALD on the handle bar end [plus another bike same] and couple from late sixties to early seventies that have part number in the serrated boss were the stem tightens... All these bikes were bought for being OG. Can send photos with serial number + dates...? Have never SEEN a "dated" handle bar on a Schwinn; Schwinn part number, yes.

Last edited:
...So, this is just one entry; but, hope it helps... pappy

Thank you Pappy. If anyone has pics of their early middleweight bars that they can post, please post, showing the middle area with no name stamp, thanks in advance. I will reference this thread for ebay, in case I can't locate a more formal document. :)

Darcie

Schwinn Starting stamping handlebars in 1965 and they were simply Stamped Schwinn with no part number or date. 1966 Marked the start of date stamps and part numbers on bars.

Mark

Schwinn Starting stamping handlebars in 1965 and they were simply Stamped Schwinn with no part number or date. 1966 Marked the start of date stamps and part numbers on bars.

Mark

Thank you Mark, that sounds right. Are you aware of any "official" docs or parts lists that would mention this?

Darcie

Mark

I learned something tonight... I mis-spoke above about seeing "schwinn" and a date. I have a zillion handle bars with "schwinn-part #-date". Mcmfw2 is right-on! All of these bars are from after 1965 on into 1970s... IF any one documents this handle bar "dating" it will be the book written by: William Love, "Classic Schwinn Bicycles" and sold by Memory Lane. I do not have that book; but, I have read it... there were a lot of dates given for just such things. I do not remember if handle bar dates was one of those, tho...

Thank you Mark, that sounds right. Are you aware of any "official" docs or parts lists that would mention this?

Darcie

As far as I know there is no documentation from Schwinn stating when they started stamping any of the parts. Your buyer has a lot to learn if he's giving a seller crap over something he knows absolutely nothing about.

its just plain logic if he knows anything about business and bicycle mfg,there are a large amount of part variations on schwinn bikes,why?lets say in 58 bike production was 600,000 units a year,to much for one vender to supply all the parts,so you have multiple vendors makin parts that met engineering specs but might vary cosmetically,and have the buyer provide documentation that shows all 58 schwinn had schwinn stamped and numberd bars,end of story!

This guy is clueless about Schwinn, period. Which isn't the problem, as we all were at one point, but once you've been schooled on something you were wrong about, and being a jerk about, man up and admit you were wrong- don't dig in deeper! Sheesh. Gotta love the kooks on ebay.

Darcie

Last edited:
Back