When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Departure brake discs...would you?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
You could replace them with these.
Ebay item #161405938424
NOS New Departure brake discs. $10.99 shipped

I don't measure ND braking disc sets solely by disc count. They actually made several widths of discs over the years. What you're looking for is the overall dimension of the entire stack of discs. The count matters in that it should be close to 50/50 proportion. For example, if you have a set of the "heavy duty" type discs and clutches, you'll have fewer discs but the same overall dimension for the stack.

I checked a set of unused heavy duty discs/clutches. There were 17 total pieces in the braking surface set, counting both types of brake washer. The caliper settled at very close to 3/4 inch for them. They were heavier duty than the ones I took out of the hub I was rebuilding, and there were fewer of them. Some hubs it seems they used all steel, wafer thin pieces in greater quantity, and other hubs have thicker ones with bronze spinning washers. Regardless, the goal is right near that 3/4 inch mark.

The thicker discs have the disadvantage of lowering the overall surface area friction within the stack because you have fewer pieces. Their advantage is less propensity to crack or snap under load. You can crank down on those thick ones a little more, in my experience.

Last edited:
Another ND copper brake disc observation.
Since I began the quest to figure out how to rebuild hubs I have come across another concern. I have after lots of practice gotten pretty good at it.
I probably should replace these worn discs even though I am out of replacements.
But what would cause this wear?
Hard braking and or lack of proper lubrication?
Note the keyway tabs still have their thickness because there is no friction wear here.

72672c2fee3cf811506256574538e526-1.jpg

d4b565991abeba468b3dd852f0a882d4-1.jpg

Guess I need some replacements again....Gordon I know you're probably out of then, anybody willing to let a few sets go?
It's all about the Tanklights!!

How did I run out of room so fast?

Last edited:
This is the reason before I toss out a rusty old wheel I cut the hub out and toss them in a bucket.
Every part is there. The boys bikes may be shot, but the girls are easy on them. that transfer spring gets broke from hitting the brakes too hard , skidding down the driveway. Back in the day New Departure was the preferred hub. Every kid loved that "dry sounding squawk" they made when they needed oil and you jammed on the brakes skidding down the sidewalk behind some girls. I had an old dry rotted tire on the rear of a Schwinn Hornet I had that I wore clear through doing this. Thats how those disks got beat :)

I do have a limited few donor rims that need breakdown for parts. Guess that's the next project. Looks like I'll need to replace them all on this hub.
Thanks for the insights on the method of wearing the brake discs out tinker.
You never think about what wear and tear you cause on the internals when impressing the chicks when we were young.

NOS washer stacks are on eBay all the time. And better yet, Mattatuck and Nankai discs will work too. Your set is pretty well worn out, but if you want to cheap out slide another worn out disc into the stack. It works sometimes. But If you want a well working hub, spring for a new washer stack AND a retarder spring. They will make a big difference.

Sent you my email bikeyard.
And thanks for the advice Andrew. The spring was broken too. I have a replacement for that. Not familiar with the other brand discs you mentioned, though. Mattatuck and Nankai hubs?

Mattatuck took over production of the ND hub for a few years. There were some changes to thedriver and retarder spring, but the disks are the same. Nankai was a Japanese copy of the model D. Since these hubs are not as well known spares sometimes show upin the orphan parts pile.

Back