When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New-used Mirada and s/n confusion

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Aphrodite

On Training Wheels
I picked up a refurbished Mirada today via CraigsList. It rides well and I'm happy with it. I am trying to figure out whether it's an "old" Mirada or a "new" one, but the serial number decoding info I have found isn't helping much.

The auto-decoder gives me two different - and unlikely - results, while I just can't make any of the "if-this-then-that" written decoding directions work with the s/n I found on the bike.

There is no number stamped on the Schwinn badge on the head tube. The s/n I found is under the crank shaft housing.

I read this as 6o37354 // g0386.
The first group really confuses me, as it includes the letter "oh", which everything I've read says was not used to avoid confusion. (hah, see what I did there?)
The second group is in the correct format to be a Taiwan-made Giant-for-Schwinn s/n, but is in the wrong place.

Halp?
IMG_20170426_132457.jpg

Last edited:
Ignore the background clutter...

Why are you guessing "July 1990"? Also, I found a paper sticker on the bike that reads "Giant app Schw".

IMG_20170426_141910.jpg

Last edited:
The first number is the frame serial, the second number indicates the frame was made by Giant in March of 1986. What is the 4-digit number stamped in the headbadge (look closely the numbers are small and may be very lightly stamped)? That will indicate the day the bike was assembled. Post a clear close-up pic of the badge if you can't see the numbers yourself.

The first number is the frame serial, the second number indicates the frame was made by Giant in March of 1986. What is the 4-digit number stamped in the headbadge (look closely the numbers are small and may be very lightly stamped)? That will indicate the day the bike was assembled. Post a clear close-up pic of the badge if you can't see the numbers yourself.

You're right - there are some very twee numbers on the head badge - 0916. So that's September 16, 1986, right?

Back