When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

No model name chainguard-1961 Schwinn 3 speed

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Jimbolaya

On Training Wheels
Hi,

New guy here. I just picked up an old Schwinn 3 speed to replace my Raleigh Superbe my son commandeered for his high school commute vehicle. I wasn't looking for a Schwinn (never had a Schwinn), but I'm glad I bought it. It is fun to ride. So smooth. It just needed tires, a thorough grease job, a Brooks B66, and a few tweaks to get rolling. I modded the original seat post (soldered a bushing on it) to accommodate the Brooks.

According to the frame serial number and Sturmey hub, it was assembled in '61. Not sure of the model though as it has the 3 speed hub, groovy rear carrier, and generic chainguard. My best guess is a Jaguar missing the tank, and front rack. Thoughts? I have no desire to find those items as I don't need them. It is my new grocery and coffee shop bike.

IMG_0163.JPG

IMG_0164.JPG

IMG_0165.JPG

Hi,

New guy here. I just picked up an old Schwinn 3 speed to replace my Raleigh Superbe my son commandeered for his high school commute vehicle. I wasn't looking for a Schwinn (never had a Schwinn), but I'm glad I bought it. It is fun to ride. So smooth.

According to the frame serial number and Sturmey hub, it was assembled in '61. Not sure of the model though as it has the 3 speed hub, groovy rear carrier, and generic chainguard. My best guess is a Jaguar missing the tank, and front rack. Thoughts?
]
At this rate it could be any other of the 3 speed models offered in 61. An Panther III, Corvette, or Mark IV Jaguar etc.

Generic isn't really the deal but close call on it as, the main difference in many models were the name put on the chain guard. And the models that did not have accessory wielded attached components, such as; hanger for a slimline tank, or bracket on seat post for the cable wheel and the fork with or without a drilled hole for the brakes. , could be any middleweight Schwinn. In that regard they're all 'generic'.

Apparently somebody painted it and stuck a new top post decal on the chain guard. Otherwise the chain guard is a Schwinn, however, your fenders are not, but, 'generic' made by who knows. Or in the very least, the fender brackets are not, yet for the shine on fenders, unless they're stainless steel, which then, you could cut Panther III off the list. Schwinn's fender brackets, near the fender, where it's flat, only revealed about 1/4" whereas yours looks to be a good 3/4" Otherwise, not Schwinn. Here's the catalog where you may chose which model ya want it to be. Because, as a collectible, and Schwinn's 'generic' interchangeable models, once it's painted, other than the intrinsic interest, the collectible value is near gone. http://schwinncruisers.com/catalogs/1961.html

Yet even at 50-60, 70 and 100 years old, Schwinn's frame and wheels can easily hold up more than their warranty prescribed, 'Lifetime'

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. I wasn't looking for a collector bike, just cool, old school, budget transportation. The B-66 saddle is by far the most valuable part on that Schwinn. I have three different Brooks saddles on different bikes. Nothing else compares that I have tried.

Yeah, the fenders are stainless, which is nice. I need to clean up the rear rack, but bronze wool and polish will do the trick.

It's a really great town bike. I'm pleasantly surprised. My Raliegh was my go to bike, but my son uses it now.

Thanks for the reply. I wasn't looking for a collector bike, just cool, old school, budget transportation. The B-66 saddle is by far the most valuable part on that Schwinn. I have three different Brooks saddles on different bikes. Nothing else compares that I have tried.

Yeah, the fenders are stainless, which is nice. I need to clean up the rear rack, but bronze wool and polish will do the trick.

It's a really great town bike. I'm pleasantly surprised. My Raliegh was my go to bike, but my son uses it now.
In that case, and if they're's not wielded on hangers for a slime line tank, you could narrow it down, if ya didn't have another favorite in mind, as, hangers could be with or without many of Schwinn's but, but the path to; Mark IV Jaguar.

1961-schwinn-jaguar-mark4.jpg

Welcome to theCABE! Your Schwinn is about as good as it gets for a comfortable, dependable, daily rider.....

Back