When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Non-monark Built Hawthorne Twin Bars (snyder/cwc Built)

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
So was the curved brace always a Snyder thing and the straight brace always a CWC. The brace connecting the seat stays. Not just on 5 bars but all prewar models?

image.png

Also, it appears that on cwc bikes, the chain stays are straighter and longer behind the bb than the snyders, which go into the bb at an angle.

Yes, that's what I do...designate 5-bar to Monarks and distinguish Twinbars by brand- Hawthorne Twinbar (Snyder and CWC) vs. Elgin/Columbia Twinbar.
Then there's the top end Hawthorne Zep which was different over the seasons so the year is important.
The 39 Zep is really the anomally as Hawthorne carried the name over to an entirely different and short lived bike.
Chris

"Non-monark Built Hawthorne Twin Bars (snyder/cwc Built)"

Maybe we can reserve the term "5-bar" for Monark-built bicycles, seeing that was their name for that frame?

I always refer to this line of bikes, be it Monark,Snyder or CWC built as "Hawthorne Twin bars"(If badged as a Hawthorne), just as they were named in the MW ads. The Monark built frame can indeed be referred to as a "5 Bar" whether it be tankless or a deluxe tanked model, though it depends on who you ask...:rolleyes:

My tankless Monark 5 Bar(HTB) thread.
http://thecabe.com/forum/threads/monark-built-tankless-5bar-thread-hawthorne-twin.54711/

Shawn's Monark 5 Bar-Superframe article
http://thecabe.com/forum/pages/monark_5-bar/

Back