When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Observations of EvapoRust or "No Blue For You"

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I guess I am primitive.I use a drill press with wire wheel then use "White Lightning"

No before photo because I was not anticipating the result but it looked just like the one in the photo. No doubt it was a blue link chain and no doubt it took the blue off completely. Next time it's molasses for me on the blue diamond chain and a biscuit.

Some Diamond chains were not blued originally. Do you have a picture of the chain before evaporust?

No before photo because I was not anticipating the result but it looked just like the one in the photo. No doubt it was a blue link chain and no doubt it took the blue off completely.

Bummer. I left a nice one in Zep purple degreaser overnight by accident, cooked all the bluing off that one too.

Ive have used Evaporust before and it worked ok. But when i do my chains i use Vinegar works just as good if not better!!

No surprise there- "bluing" is, technically, a controlled rusting process. Google "rust bluing"; I've done several firearms with beautiful results, using the process.

Exactly- bluing and plum browning are both forms of controlled corrosion using different chemicals. Oxalic Acid likewise will lift most forms of bluing and plum browning. I have had luck using long soaks in detergent motor or gear oil combined with a stiff bristle, plastic brush for removing rust and gunk from chains without removing bluing.

If you don't want to soak, try gun oil or, better yet, Balistol with brush. When you're working with bluing, gun care products are your best bet because they have largely been formulated not to remove bluing.

Has anyone tried molasses yet on a blue chain?
Also, has anyone figured out what's in Evaporust? I haven't been able to find any info on its ingredients. It's not acidic and it seems to be water-based. It sure looks like the 10% molasses solution but it works a lot slower.

Back