When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Odd frame

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I didn't notice it upside down, but still, that doesn't look like any Schwinn Whizzer frame I've seen.

Like mentioned above, probably a shop did it.

did only the wz frames have the brake arm exstension?i thought they had frame damage at first thats why they redid the wz frames,so if this is an early frame it coulda been a whizzer,the early probuction stuff is subject to change,even today we have recalls just my thoughts

Top indent
9FCFCA5ED1444A8089EAFA68AC16BA47_zpsarru-1.jpg

Bottom indent
47ACC46DF29C42D29AA83A5AE6B94EB1_zpsw5pu-1.jpg

Both
E2493E4E112F4CA9AD6E4FC79E1220EC_zpsju0b-1.jpg

Can someone post what an early factory WZ Looks like?

big difference between the two. Looks like Schwinn crimped the frame tubing before the build.

Very different,in petritls pics the crimp looks like it was done afterwards.Also looks like it could weaken the frame.That straight line that looks like maybe a vise jaw creased it is now the weak link. Who knows,could be just fine forever though.

Very different,in petritls pics the crimp looks like it was done afterwards.Also looks like it could weaken the frame.That straight line that looks like maybe a vise jaw creased it is now the weak link. Who knows,could be just fine forever though.

It doesn't really matter to me one way or another but it may explain the differences between the clearancing ; I'm going to build this frame up with a Whizzer engine and parts from a Whizzer powered DX Schwinn bicycle that was difficult to sell.

Per the Angelfire website:
The Whizzer engine became so popular that several manufacturers produced a bike intended for mounting the Whizzer engine kit. The 1947 Schwinn WZ507 bike (later designated S4) was a variation of the Schwinn cantilever frame patented in 1937.( The term "CANTILEVER" indicates that the frame has two lower top tubes, which run all the way from the head tube, cross the seat mast, and continue down to the rear drop-out.)The welds were heavier, and spokes were .105 inch diameter as opposed to the .080 inch standard gauge. The earliest ones (WZ) have the inside of the rear seat stays and chain stays pressed flat for belt clearance. On the later ones, the stays are dimpled, and there is a welded on brake arm anchor point, which is then connected to the brake arm by a strut. Seems the coaster brake sometimes tore through the standard bicycle type strap, and in some cases bent or cracked the frame, so a welded on anchor point was provided.

I started putting my Whizzer bits together today. The goal is to have a distressed rider.
2F1C1E128409457AAB96C0EBFDF9CA33_zps17ei-1.jpg

B11F1670477548818484D56F8A3CE1DD_zpshrxl-1.jpg

AC029DCF53A44847906553F74FD1396C_zpsqlsu-1.jpg

Last edited:
I just bought a green 1940's Schwinn Whizzer that has the exact same dimples as your bike. I think these are factory dimples that predate the WZ bikes. I also posted some pictures of a red whizzer frame, again with the same exact dimples. If these were homemade crimps, each bike would have different tooling marks. I do not think that these bikes are a freak coincidence.

dimples (1).JPG

dimples (2).JPG

dimples (3).JPG

dimples (4).JPG

d.jpg

d2.jpg

d3.jpg

d4.jpg

Back