When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Og Look...

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Brian A

Look Ma, No Hands!
I have read a few comments about the " OG " look. I have a 49 schwinn with pretty good original paint on it. I am thinking about repainting it, after restoring the parts it needs. My question is; will repainting it bring down the value?

Last edited:
Yes, but you have to have about 70% paint or better.
Just post a pic, we'll voice our opinions.
Rule of thumb: Only restore if you plan to keep. You'll almost NEVER get your $$$ back.
If you sell, take off all the parts you added, then you can say "as found" ...unless buyer ok with the replaced items.

A few pictures...

WIN_20160621_11_40_44_Pro.jpg
WIN_20160621_11_42_10_Pro.jpg
WIN_20160621_11_42_18_Pro.jpg
WIN_20160621_11_42_40_Pro.jpg

Appreciate the input!

I wouldn't dare repaint that if that finish is original! I'd service & ride as-is. If you want, add the missing pieces in original condition as you find them, or just save up for a more complete bike.

I'm far from a expert on this matter. It does look original, but not sure? I have serviced it myself and took a ride. Very pleased!

So whatcha think guys? After the additional parts I'm going to put on it, should I have them painted to match? Are there a lot of fans of the OG look? Will it be worth more with original paint?

Thanks,
Brian

Looks original to me. I'd LOVE to have a bike like that in such nice original shape. They're only original once. Don't wipe out 60+ years of history to have something shiny. If shiny is really what you want, look for one in far worse shape. This one is a keeper as-is:eek:

As discussed in your other post the consensus is to not repaint this bike if you are concerned with value. If you don't care what it's worth then go for it. You said in the other post you prefer the restored look. I'd leave this bike alone and find something crusty that you can work on a little at a time. In the mean time you have a cool rider with the brown bike. A restored bike is an expensive proposition and Schwinn's have been documented fairly well so everything down to the correct washers and finish of the various parts plays into the value. Frankly unless the bike is worth $3k or better I generally don't do a restoration. The chrome bill alone can be $1000 or better on some bikes. I do my own paint but a pro job can hit $1000 pretty easy. Again jus my 2c. V/r Shawn

Back