Old Schwinn Excelsior X found in shed

Discussion in 'General Discussion About Old Bicycles' started by silverbrad, Jun 11, 2012.

1. #1 Posted Jun 11, 2012
    silverbrad

silverbrad 'Lil Knee Scuffer

I found this in my in-laws shed in Pa. They said it was there when they bought the house 40+ years ago. I'd love to find some more info on it, and maybe convert it into a sorta resto-mod for personal use... Thanks.
    DSCN3932.JPG DSCN3933.JPG DSCN3934.JPG DSCN3935.JPG DSCN3936.JPG DSCN3937.JPG DSCN3938.JPG DSCN3939.JPG

2. #2 Posted Jun 11, 2012
    bricycle

bricycle I'm the Wiz, and nobody beats me!

I'm sure others will chime in regarding this also....but PLEASE don't repaint it first of all. That is Primo original paint!!!!!
    Second, if you keep it (you can sell for nice $), save the original parts, because this is a true survivor. I almost shorted my keey board out from drooling when I saw it. Someone on here can tell you what the date is, I don't have the info handy.
    This is certainly a find to be proud of, also because it may have belonged to a relative too.
    bri.

3. #3 Posted Jun 11, 2012
    greenephantom

greenephantom Wore out three sets of tires already!

Great find. Early post-war Standard Autocycle. The fenderlight cover has been reproduced, both plastic and metal versions, the metal is much nicer. Rear rack is general aftermarket. This bike is a neat collectable, I wouldn't touch the paint one bit. Wheels you can go two ways, find the "correct" steel hoops with vintage hubs, or go with modern alloys (26" cruiser / mountain bike) and a modern hub with a 22 tooth cog. If you decide to go with an internally geared hub, there are many choices, some better than others.

Again, great find. It's worth a good chunk of change just as it sits.

Cheers, Geoff

4. #4 Posted Jun 11, 2012
    silverbrad

awesome

First off, thanks so much for the quick response! Since I'm very new to this... when u say its worth a lot what are we talking about here? Ideally I'd love to convert it for personal use, only thing is I'd be considered "slightly" mechanically inclined at best. The chain is pretty unusable at this point, it seems somewhat mangled and bent. And I'd love to try to find the piece that covers the front headlight which is missing. There is a local independent bike shop in town but he didn't fill me with confidence when I told him about this find, and seemed uninterested. Thanks again...

heres the busted front headlight thingy
    DSCN3943.JPG

5. #5 Posted Jun 11, 2012
    silverbrad

Sorry, I realized after I posted about the headlight that my question had already been answered. Any particular advice in cleaning the paint and chrome up? Also, is the seat a big deal? It's in decent shape but I'd rather something new while keeping it classic looking...

6. #6 Posted Jun 11, 2012
    bricycle

7. #7 Posted Jun 11, 2012
    MagicRat

MagicRat Guest

For the love of Mike I cant find a Schwinn 'B' S/N for ya.

The 'gray beards' on here would know for sure.

#7 MagicRat, Jun 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2012
  8. #8 Posted Jun 11, 2012
    bricycle

If you are interested, I have a set of (straight/true) drop center chrome wheels similar to what it would have come with with Schwinn script front hub too, but with a bit newer Bendix redband coaster rear hub. Also have one repro Goodyear whitewall tire...Set of wheels and 1 tire...$ 85.00 ($100 shipped) bri. Pm with e-mail for pics....

9. #9 Posted Jun 11, 2012
    silverbrad

Ok, sorry to keep posting but this is pretty exciting to me! I spoke to a friend of a friend who is into older bikes, and he's telling me from the pics I sent him that I have a mid-late 40's b-6 that's missing some pieces...does that jive? I googled "1947 schwinn b6" and what came up looks pretty close. a 1947 schwinn b-6 ballooner cruiser tank bike????? Thats a mouthful huh??? I think it looks pretty bad ass but wonder if it'd be a fortune to find the tank piece and the front springy looking thing...

10. #10 Posted Jun 11, 2012
    Eric Bidinger

Eric Bidinger Look Ma, No Hands!

Probably 1946 with the B serial number

Don' t repaint it!
    You don' t need the springy thing for the front end.
    You have the truss rod front end.
    You can have the seat restored. It will be better than a new replacement.
    Soak the chain in oil it is still good.
    It would have come with Lobdell dropcenter rims. Probably chrome.
    Put on new tubes and tires. Don't buy old tires.
    Check fee bay for parts.
    Keep it and ride it.

E

11. #11 Posted Jun 11, 2012
    Schwinndemonium

Schwinndemonium Finally riding a big boys bike

Die cast headlight cover and lens

Here's what your headlight cover should look like. The originals were usually made out of chrome plated diecast metal. They either had a clear plastic, in the later bikes, or glass lens in the front. The whole battery tray assembly in the top of the fender is replaceable. They make reproductions for this assembly, as well as the switch. Schwinn called this fender mounted headlight, quite simply a "Fenderlight".
    Here is a picture of my original unit on my 1949 B-6.

Jim.

Attached Files:

12. #12 Posted Jun 11, 2012
    kngtmat

kngtmat Wore out three sets of tires already!

That is a sweet bike.

13. #13 Posted Jun 11, 2012
    jkent

jkent Cruisin' on my Bluebird

B6

Why can't i EVER find a bike like that. Sound like he has no idea what he has. Someone needs to let him know before it's jerked up for pennies on the dollar or painted over. Don't part it out! Don't paint over it! Don't resto mod it! A bike that nice should only be properly restored to it's former GLORY!!!

14. #14 Posted Jun 11, 2012
    greenephantom

greenephantom Wore out three sets of tires already!

The B-6 is the cantilever frame. The B-107 (tank, fenderlight, 6 hole Schwinn rear rack) and the B-97 (no tank, no fenderlight, no rear rack) are the straightbar versions, which is what you have. Judging by the lack of specific scrapes on the cream paint up front, I'd say you have the B-97 that was upgraded with a fenderlight.

The seat is very likely a big deal. Pretty much any original Schwinn heavyweight parts from this era that are still in decent condition are valuable to some degree.

I'm not going to speculate as to the exact value of your find, but it looks to be in pretty good condition, and the painted bits are all there. But I think it would be safe to say that if you wanted a nice new internally geared modern cruiser, that you could easily sell your existing bike and pay for a nice new one quite handily,and perhaps have some cash to spare.

Cheers, Geoff

15. #15 Posted Jun 11, 2012
    bricycle

...have you read the prior posts on this thread?

16. #16 Posted Jun 11, 2012
    silverbrad

Wow, this is awesome and I think I may have just found my new pet project. FYI, if the next post from me is from a pissy woman, it'll just be my wife blaming all of u for my lack of attention to her! So when you say don't paint it, r u saying no touch ups? Or don't repaint the whole thing? (which I don't plan on.) I love the paint on this bike but some areas r a little banged up. (obv for an item of this age) I appreciate all the info, I'm leaning towards updating it for my own personal usage. Are there catalogues or websites that sell Schwinn specific modern parts to keep the og look? Ideally I'd love it to look as close to original as possible but I don't wanna baby it, I wanna ride it. Thanks again for all the helpful info so far...

17. #17 Posted Jun 11, 2012
    silvercreek

silvercreek Wore out three sets of tires already!

I think that particular model Excelsior bike has a fairly sought after head badge also.

18. #18 Posted Jun 11, 2012
    silverbrad

Just read the last two posts before mine, so resto-mod is a bad idea. Here's the thing, I'm willing to put in time, money, blood, and sweat... But no tears. Ive been thru this with a classic car and the reward is wonderful but the parts situation drove me to drink (more) are parts available if I go the original route? Or am I gonna be searching eBay every day to find a one in a thousand part? I'd def wanna understand the value of what I have before I go forward... Thanks AGAIN!

19. #19 Posted Jun 11, 2012
    silverbrad

Just read the last two posts before mine, so resto-mod is a bad idea. Here's the thing, I'm willing to put in time, money, blood, and sweat... But no tears. Ive been thru this with a classic car and the reward is wonderful but the parts situation drove me to drink (more) are parts available if I go the original route? Or am I gonna be searching eBay every day to find a one in a thousand part? I'd def wanna understand the value of what I have before I go forward... Thanks AGAIN!

20. #20 Posted Jun 11, 2012
    MagicRat

MagicRat Guest

Its not rust and chips and dents and dings...ITS PATINA (History in every one of them)

Polish it and ride it with pride!