When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Old Schwinn Excelsior X found in shed

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
its only original once

A good way to get a better idea of what you may be getting into is to run a search on ebay of completed auctions, so you have a general grasp of parts availability and costs. Search things like Schwinn 26" S-2 (rims) etc. I did this when investigating vintage hand held transistor radios...got a quick education on brands, styles, and value of working radios and parts, in addition to how many of which are out there at one given time. Also helps determine what to look for at the local garage sales.

BTW I believe few can touch up vintage paint and make it look OK because of the fading over time.

GenuineRides

I agree with Eric! Please do not repaint. That's a great vintage paint job. That bike is in great shape for it's age. For a couple hundreds bucks for all the basic parts and you'll be riding in style. A good bath with soap and water followed by gentle hand rubbing with any GOOD auto polish and you will be shocked at how well that paint will come up. Careful rubbing on the pin striping and decals. Great find.

Last edited:
Silverbrad,
I am afraid you have just entered the “vintage bike zone”. You will never be the same again once you start this project. Get out while you can and keep your sanity. Get rid of this beautiful frame and sell it to one of the cabe members already affected. There is no hope for most of us but it’s not too late for you. Seriously, listen to what is being said by the other members. Keep it original. Clean and polish the paint and chrome. Look for a set of era original wheels. Take the time to put this beauty back to its full glory. Most everyone here is willing help just ask. Good luck and congratulation on a great find.
Robert

Ok, sorry to keep posting but this is pretty exciting to me! I spoke to a friend of a friend who is into older bikes, and he's telling me from the pics I sent him that I have a mid-late 40's b-6 that's missing some pieces...does that jive? I googled "1947 schwinn b6" and what came up looks pretty close. a 1947 schwinn b-6 ballooner cruiser tank bike????? Thats a mouthful huh??? I think it looks pretty bad ass but wonder if it'd be a fortune to find the tank piece and the front springy looking thing...

Here is a nice original B6 if your interested, I would trade any day......

45d0f4a2-1.jpg

My Opinion...

First off; you have a cool bicycle that you can either: ruin, restore lamely, or take your time and have something very special.

That said, here's what I would do... (and I do know a thing or two about bikes)

Look for a REAL Schwinn drop center wheel set that would be appropriate for this bike.
You can probably redeem the chain with a bit of soaking in oil and elbow grease.
Do NOT rush your build, and if you aren't mechanical, learn, this isn't rocket science.
Find a REAL light cover and lens for the front light.
The seat and rack shown are not correct for this bike and should be set aside. (sell them on eBay?)
Seats and racks are easy to find, just ask here, I even have a seat you can buy.
This is a CLASSIC bike, keep it that way. DO NOT put modern parts on it!!!!!!
Look for a straight bar tank for it, eventually. This may be expen$ive. ($200?) Tanks make the bike, my opinion.
This is NOT a B-6 model.
Educate yourself, this is a fun hobby, and when you get really hooked, sorry,
there is no known Methadone for Vintage bicycle addicts.
Ask stupid questions, we don't care and it makes us feel smart(er.)

Last edited:
I truly appreciate all the feedback, and see the love felt for these bikes. I am def interested in restoring this bike the right way. I feel like my first step it to give it a nice bath and gentle waxing. After that I'm going to start looking for a wheel set. I'm gonna go for the proper pieces, the schwinn 26" s-2's, agreed??? If anyone knows where to start looking for these, (I've already looked on e-bay) please feel free to let me know. I have a feeling I'll be online here quite often in thee near future. Thanks to you all again.

Long, emotional thread here.
I have a set of s2's appropriately nice and new balloon tires I would sell you and a b2 mesinger saddle complete, but needing a cover.
I could directly mail the saddle to my guy Stradalite here who does a great job and is reasonable.
Can't help with the light cover, but that will come up, resist the imposters.
The word "restoration" really shouldn't come up again on this bike... clean, correct, and enjoy.
Chris

Back