When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original Paint...Not What You Think! ;)

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

rustjunkie

. . . . . . .
So I've talked with a buddy a few times about modern paint vs paint "back in the day". We've agreed that today's paint just looks different than the old stuff. A while back I found some NOS bicycle enamel at the SoCal Cycle Swap. Shook the cans and found that it was still liquid, so home with me they went.

I didn't know if it would be usable or not, so figured there was one good way to find out: try it :)

Took a frame, fork, chainguard, and fender to El Monte plating and had them strip all the paint and corrosion from the parts.
Since I wasn't sure if the paint would work, I did no prep beyond red oxide primer out of a can.

At the time I only had an airbrush handy so that's what I used. :eek: (Hey, whatever works! :D)
I put several coats on and was immediately tickled to see how the paint was smoothing out as it dried.
Now this is >50yr old real-deal enamel here, so let's just say that it didn't dry overnight, but once it did I was digging the result.

Going for a distressed look on this Rollfast.
A quick wet sand with 1200 then a buff with Flitz brought the paint to how you see it now.
It's tough to capture in the pics, but it really does look like the paint is original on this bike. I guess it should though, 'coz it is!

Since then I've bought some other colors at swaps and through eBay. I'm looking forward to using them on other projects as I go.
So if you want to try something different and use some authentic original paint, be on the lookout for some of these old cans, give 'em a shake, and give it a try :cool:

IMG_4797.JPG
IMG_4799.JPG
IMG_4801.JPG
IMG_4803.JPG
IMG_4805.JPG
IMG_4807.JPG
IMG_4808.JPG

Excellent job Scott,looks great . I have a bunch of old stuff,I am going to give it a try .Never dared,I can mess up a paint job easily it seems so did not want to increase my odds with old paint .

204dom.png

Detroit: 1923.
Back then, cars were sanded with gasoline between brush-painted coats
of enamel and then polished with emery cloth.
The best repaint with spray and modern paints when done by experts is great.
But will never have the same look as they were originally painted.
Another method was dipping the bike frame in vats and hanging to dry.

Not sure how safe this was but like asbestos or smoking cigarettes
....back then they probably
weren't aware of the dangers as much! :(

Last edited:
Looks like the paint flowed nicely. What did you use for a reducer, or was the paint pre-thinned?

Back