When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original Whizzer Maroon Paint!

-

Western-Whizzer

Look Ma, No Hands!
I just bought a can of vintage Whizzer maroon paint, and Whizzer gray paint for the tanks?
The paint is good, and I am hoping to have somebody match the color.
This is a huge deal to me, because there is very little info out there on the actual color.
If all goes well, I will let everybody know.
whizzer paint.jpg

Alright, I just received the paint in the mail. The Maroon is a little over half full, and the silver tank paint was never opened until today.
So the Whizzer maroon is definitely a darker shade then the Schwinn maroon.
The photo below shows the Schwinn maroon on the left, the Whizzer maroon in the middle, and the silver tank paint on the right.
100_5555.JPG

100_5554.JPG
100_5544.JPG
100_5552.JPG

Great find.
I took a similar 1/2 pint can of 1950's Volvo car paint to a large automotive paint supply house in Reno.

For $20 they spun it good and used a spectrophotometer to get relevant color formula, then for another $60 mixed a quart for me. Exact match!

If you have the maroon color matched, I’ll chip in for color formula or buy a pint.

I just bought a can of vintage Whizzer maroon paint, and Whizzer gray paint for the tanks?
The paint is good, and I am hoping to have somebody match the color.
This is a huge deal to me, because there is very little info out there on the actual color.
If all goes well, I will let everybody know.View attachment 441711
How may we get a maroon color chip from you so as we can create a color match for a restoration ?

So I believe that the early WZ507's used Schwinn's standard (light) maroon, ivory white, and black pinstripes.
And the whizzer embossed tanks also had a very similar maroon if not the exact maroon with white font.
The later WZ507's used a darker maroon as seen above, ivory white, and red pinstripes.
The tanks also had this darker maroon, and a new yellow font.
Please correct me if I am wrong, as I do not want to spread false information. Thank you!

Hey Western Whizzer, Ive got a very similar situation. I think mine was originally Maroon but it too has been well painted black. And my frame number is I81099. Love to copy your lead. Can you share the paint codes for the silver and the maroon? Is Dibble Standard a code that can be cross referenced?1090380

Back