When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oxalic Acid

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
BWAhAHAHAHAHAhahahahahaha!!!!!

What the heck kind of "bicycle cleaning" are you getting into?

Hey,

After posting last night I went to the garage and stuck this old wheel, I think it was off a Thunderjet or a Meteor flight, into the Oxalic acid solution. The tub I have had some parts soaking in it so all I did was dip the part of the rim that would fit into the old mixture. This stuff was made about 5 weeks ago and has had a bunch of things soaked in it. The rim was in it for about 11/12 hours. All I did today was take it out and wash off the solution.

View attachment 47261View attachment 47262

Now I have to finish cleaning it. If i keep dipping and turning it will take me until next week...guess I got to get a bigger vat. :)

You can find some really inexpensive suppliers of Oxalic acid online or on ebay. I haven't tried any of the other suggestions,Yet, but I am happy with this stuff.

Have Fun
Tom

If you pick up a hot water heater pan at a home improvement store plug the drain hole you can do a whole wheel at the same time

Attachments

• 0006.jpg
    0006.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 241
When I did my OA baths on parts, I generally went with 3-4 spoonfulls per gallon...or so. It didn't need to be rocket science on the mixtures to work well.

I found the bath water could be reused quite a bit and still be effective, though I have no way of saying for how long, or for how much product. My bath bins were filled with yellow-ish stuff, but they solution continued to work.

One thing I will CAUTION you to though. OA is acid. And even though it is mild, I read here

http://avogadro.chem.iastate.edu/MSDS/oxalic_acid-2H2O.htm

http://www.sciencestuff.com/msds/C2193.html

http://www.ontariobee.com/index.php?action=display&cat=49&doc=Oxalic_acid_safety_sheet.pdf

that you really gotta be careful of the stuff. Absorption thru the skin (and other means) can cause some major health issuse. Please look at the links and take all precautions when using it.

Nate

Last edited:
Yikes

Nate,

Jeeez...guess I should have been wearin gloves. Thanks for the post.

Dave K

Going to pick up one of those pans at lowes. Need something bigger. Thanks for the tip.

Dave M

I use wd40 and steel wool to take care of any stubborn rust then I use a paste or even a liquid wax to finish up.

Thanks for all the info.

Just to add my 2 cents to what has already been posted, I use 2TBS (1/8 cup) of crystals to a gallon of water. I bought a large, clear plastic storage container with snap on lid for my "acid tank". The tank is large enough to accomodate trike handlebars laid flat when placed in there diagonally. I usually make up 5 gallons at a time, which gives me a solution depth of about 5" to 6". The first gallon jug of water is hot with crystals poured in first. The hot water helps dissolve all the crystals faster before pouring in the tank. The other 4 gallons are just straight hot water. Warmer water does seem to help the process of rust removal along.

I've let painted steel parts like rear trike wheels set in the solution for up to two days with no damage to the paint. Usually after a day I'll go over the parts with an old toothbrush and see how things have progressed. If it's not quite there I'll soak for a second day. I do use protective gloves and safety glasses in case something accidently drops and splashes the water up.

Oh, and for open ended items like handlebars, I use rubber stoppers purchased at just about any hardware store to keep the acid out of where I don't need it to work.

Dave

Last edited:
I need some help, I am soaking a frame, wheel, fork, and chain guard in a large vessel. I mixed 2 cups of oxalic acid into 80 gallons of warm water.

Is the mix really 10 cups for the 80 gallons? Seems like a lot

Last edited:
Back