When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oxalic Acid

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Will an oxalic acid dip damage decals on the frame of a prewar bike?

You betcha. It will soften them and they will scrape off when you remove the O.X. residue It will damage your paint if your stuff is in there too long. And if there is rust that is hidden under the paint it will follow the rust and the paint above will lift. I have noticed that any area that is covered with grease isn't affected by it as it is water based.... just saying....I have been experimenting with it with old fenders , etc. Fool around with it yourself before you take the final plunge:rolleyes:

OA is too tricky for me. It has the potential to damage anything it contacts so like the tinker said...fool around with it before you use it on anything you value.

Yes, it can damage a number of things, but often it does not do any damage. I suppose this is the hazard of using chemical cleaning methods on any bicycle. Beyond what has already been mentioned about decals and rust under paint/plating, remember that certain makers also used primers and paints containing rust/oxide compounds. This was often true of red and brown paints and primers. If the paint or primer has enough of an oxide component, the acid may lift or distort the color of the paint/primer. However, some of the reds/browns don't contain enough oxide for the OA to harm them, while others are either removed or their color badly distorted.

Test the OA on a part of the bike that will not be obvious before treating the whole thing.

By all means before one uses any type of acid on your bike test it on something first.
If you have a reaction like this it may be too strong of a mix.

Attachments

• acid-burn.jpg
    acid-burn.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 261
To those who use OX bath do you throw it out after your done? Brother in law gave me a 5 gallon extra bottle and cap he had he works for Polan Springs water company I store it for future use.

Last edited:
I use it to clean my beer cans. But, Don't throw it down the drain if you have a septic tank. This kills some of the good bacteria that the septic uses.
Will cause issues down the road.

Back