When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Parting Is Such Great Sorrow......

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
The grease in the bearings acts as a seal to reduce oil loss. It is never 100%, but it sounds like you have no grease in the bearings. This is not as bad as it sounds. The AW can run on nothing but oil, including in the bearings. However, long-term, it's better to have grease in the bearings and oil in the innards. Running on just oil is messy.
it looks like there is a lock nut on top of the rear cog that has 3 little holes in it that requires a special wrench. Can anyone tell me the name of that wrench and where I can get it? Or maybe slots is a better description. Someone tell me that I don't have to disassemble the entire insides of the hub in order to grease the bearings. I saw a post somewhere about what kind of oil to use in the hub, but I don't remember where. I think they said 3in1 in the blue can? Also, more parts cleaned and ready to go back on the bike:
20160820_221132_resized.jpg

it looks like there is a lock nut on top of the rear cog that has 3 little holes in it that requires a special wrench. Can anyone tell me the name of that wrench and where I can get it? Or maybe slots is a better description. Someone tell me that I don't have to disassemble the entire insides of the hub in order to grease the bearings. I saw a post somewhere about what kind of oil to use in the hub, but I don't remember where. I think they said 3in1 in the blue can? Also, more parts cleaned and ready to go back on the bike:View attachment 352040
NO 3 IN 1!!

Use heavy weight motor oil, and you dont need much. Put a little on the brake pivots also, youll be happy you did come adjustment time.

Regular grease works fine, ive herd marine grease works good too, gonna try that myself next bucket.

The cog comes off with a snap ring. The slots are what the cogs slip over to engage the hub.

more parts clean and polished. Fork and crank are off, still need to take off the chain and get it soaking. At the rate I'm going, it looks like wd40 by the gallon is a good investment. Going to take apart the SA 3 speed hub today and regrease the bearings. The bearings in the crank and head tube seem to be somewhat flattened and don't roll well in the retainer. anyone know what size I should be looking for offhand?
20160821_090435_resized.jpg

Chain is off and soaking, took apart the rear hub and greased the bearings. Front wheel is greased and reassembled. Trying to decide if I am going to buy new tires or reuse the ones that were on it. They have good tread, but there is some minor cracking on the sidewalls. it still has the original schwinn tubes and they were holding air, so going to reuse those, even if I have to patch them. Going out to Tractor Supply to see if they have the bearings I need for the fork and crank. If everything goes according to plan, I should be able to get it back together tomorrow after work.

Any decent bike shop or large hardware outlet should have the bearings you need, just pop em out of the race and pop new in. Should be very cheap!

3 in 1 blue is the small bottle with the little picture of the motor. It is 20 weight oil and a match for the original Sturmey machine oil.

3 in 1 black/red is their general purpose and should be avoided because it congeals over time in the hub.

Medium weight sae motor oil can work too.

it looks like there is a lock nut on top of the rear cog that has 3 little holes in it that requires a special wrench. Can anyone tell me the name of that wrench and where I can get it? Or maybe slots is a better description. Someone tell me that I don't have to disassemble the entire insides of the hub in order to grease the bearings. I saw a post somewhere about what kind of oil to use in the hub, but I don't remember where. I think they said 3in1 in the blue can? Also, more parts cleaned and ready to go back on the bike:View attachment 352040

3 in 1 blue is the small bottle with the little picture of the motor. It is 20 weight oil and a match for the original Sturmey machine oil.

3 in 1 black/red is their general purpose and should be avoided because it congeals over time in the hub.

Medium weight sae motor oil can work too.
Hmmm...learned something new today.

I know the red one is no bueno...didnt know about this blue 3 in 1....

Hmmm...learned something new today.

I know the red one is no bueno...didnt know about this blue 3 in 1....

Part of it is that everyone seems to carry the red and only some places the blue. I can get the blue at Lowe's but not at Home Depot near me. I actually don't see much point to the red anymore. It seems like anything the red can do, the blue can also do, but without turning to a gummy mess. I guess the red is cheaper (?) usually.

Back