When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Peugeot Comete Aluminum Bike Mavic Equipped

-
Velotech doesn't search on Mavic rims in databases.
If you have the Mavic model of the rim, I'm sure we can find it (I'll ask on CR), and you can have the wheel rebuilt.
But we need to have an identifiable rim.

Good Morning - the only identification I can see is the Velotech by Mavic sticker. There is a number on the hub: HB-1050 SHIMANO 105. If you can believe it, I actually have the original owners manual and hangtag for the bike. For the Galaxie model, it indicates RIMS: Rigida w/stainless steel spokes. Does that help at all Bulldog?

Attachments

• GAL.pdf
    997.6 KB · Views: 128
a little google search makes me think these were only made for Peugeot. I'll ask on CR and if anything pings, I'll try to connect you with the interested seller.

THANKS SO MUCH BULLDOG!!! Anything you can do will be great - I love that bike. Its been hanging in my garage for a YEAR since I ran over the front wheel. I just cant seem to find the right part - if it was made just for the bike back in 1986, I understand now why its been a struggle to find it.

If you're unable to stir one up, there's Plenty single and sets of rims, on the bay. Just search the brand and match the sticker on your rim.

Once you nailed down the match, and then do a in-depth search with different parameters. Many times, you'd be surprised in the range of prices there. From really cheap too: "Oh wow they want that much?"

Alliteratively, it's an easy place to simply discover which type you have.

Thanks, Jeff. Sellers for vintage stuff sort of have the upper hand because its hard to find certain items. I have been trying to find a wheel that matches for a year now. The bike just hangs in my garage because I cant find the right one. If I do, someone is going to get what they want for it because Im really desperate now.

Hello Everyone! Jeff, I took your advice and went on Ebay where I 'believe' I found the set. They have the same sticker as mine, the same Shimano 105 hubs, and the photos 'appear' to look the same as my wheel. Please keep your fingers crossed for me - as I paid $100 plus $30 shipping with no returns accepted. Happy Easter!
v19.png

Hello Everyone! Jeff, I took your advice and went on Ebay where I 'believe' I found the set. They have the same sticker as mine, the same Shimano 105 hubs, and the photos 'appear' to look the same as my wheel. Please keep your fingers crossed for me - as I paid $100 plus $30 shipping with no returns accepted. Happy Easter!View attachment 450617
Yeah looks like you lucked in as, dem dar rims ain't so easy to find but, I doubt very desirable too so, a tough sell for whoever has em unless unfortunate comes along an smashes them. Or trying to restore an old bike. If you checked the seller's past auctions it appears as though, they have been trying to sell more parts to the bike it came from. But Rims with eyelet rings usually ain't going to come cheap unless, they're pretty beat.

Luckily, it looks like you got a real nice looking set (1988?) 1 for today and another, whenever you smash the other [grin] But next time, even though this looks really clean and unscratched before ya get all anxious, have the seller send bigger and better photos 1st. . Not simply, not good for you to get in hurry and not ask for better photo b/c if seller didn't show all, he/she's liable to you too make it good. So, if turns out to be junk, you can have ebay make him send you return prepaid shipping label and get money back. Albiet, from this dim view me tinks you'll be yust fine.

Mavic Velotech wheels:

s-l500.jpg

You hit the proverbial nail on the head, Jeff. I DID get over anxious, because I have been looking for these for over a year. I bought them using just those two pics posted. However, if they arrive and they ARE junk, not to worry. I paid with PayPal, and those guys are about as tough as the Student Loan folks - hahahaha! Again, wish me luck because I have really missed this bike. Apparently they are back in vogue - or maybe they never went out - as I see comparable models going for at least $1000 or more.

Good luck with the wheels and the Peugeot. I bought one in the mid80s with the 105 SIS and loved the bike. Unfortunately I was young, strong and doing a lot of climbing around Portland. The first two frames started creaking after a month or two. They gave me a third but when the bottom bracket split they told me they had been recalled and would only replace it with a steel Triathlete. It never came close to the alum and I soon moved on. My son still owns it but it doesn't get ridden much anymore.

I wouldn't worry about a catastrophic failure. My experience was that the joints just loosen up and start making noise.

Enjoy!
Jim

Back