When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pierce from about 1900?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Well if we take 28" time 3.14 it gives 88 inches, but the rear tire flattens a bit under the rider's weight so 84 is probably accurate. Divided by 12 gives seven feet. 46 teeth divided by 16 teeth gives a ratio of 2.875 multiplied by 7 feet gives 20.125 feet per pedal revolution. If a racer pedaled the bike at 90 rpm he would go 1811 feet per minute, times 60 would be 108,675 feet per hour, divided by 5280(feet per mile) gives 20.58 mph. So I was just barely correct. An above average racer is supposed to be able to hold 100-110 rpm for a time-trial, so he would be well up in the 20s.

Filmonger, I will try to take a look at the parts and features you are interested in when I get a chance maybe tomorrow or Monday. That is interesting about a paper in the seat tube. I did not see any name on any of the hubs, but the rear is pretty rust-pitted in spots and it is hard to get to for cleaning being between all those spokes. I did not see any markings on the chain link on the side that is facing out, I will take a look at the other side of the chain soon.

I do not have a cell phone so the only time I can look at this page is when I can get to a desktop computer and log in, so I apologize if I do not respond to questions as quickly as some others are able to.

I re-measured the frame when a buddy of mine was over taking a look at the bike and it is closer to 22. 5" than it is to 23", center of crank to center of seat tube, a bit too small for me as I usually ride at least a 24"er.

Problems with the bike as it sits:
Needs a new chain, this one is rusty and has a seized link, one rear spoke is broken, so maybe some of the others are weak. Rear tube does not hold air. Seat is disintegrated, I have electrical tape holding it together now, needs to be replaced or redone along with probably the entire bike being taken down, cleaned and lubricated.

The buddy of mine who looked at it today is our cities biggest bicycle nut, he has a scale in his house and can guess the weight of a bicycle to a pound by hand usually. He said he thought this Pierce weighs about 25 pounds.

The bell, probably old-hat to some of you guys, but it is clockwork, you wind it up by turning the bell clockwise, then it rings when you push a button in . On the bottom of it's clamp I think it says "Standard".

Last edited:
If you do decide to change to new wheels, you may need to locate a suitable front hub. My Iver is about 90mm rather than the 100 that's been pretty much standard for decades, even on BMXs. I got a pair of ~1930 era New Departure Model Ws on ebay that fit for $25. The rear hub I used is a Velosteel coaster hub. They have thread-on and 3-prong cog types. With the 3-prong, you can get repro skiptooth cogs. With the thread-on, I tried to find a 3/32" one that fit the Velosteel, but couldn't (I picked up a New Departure that was close, but didn't fit), so I changed to the 3-prong. Originally, I used an even-numbered cog and ground off every other tooth, but it was 1/8 thickness instead of the 3/16 of the chain and it was starting to wear the center bearings in the chain a little. Funny enough, it's louder with the repro cog in the right thickness. I'm hoping it breaks in. I imagine the Pierce is similar, but this Iver rides really well.

Hi all. Have not done much with the Pierce. I thought I would throw up a photo of the headlamps I got with the bike, and also a photo I got from the same estate which the Pierce came from. I do not think the bike in the photo is the Pierce, but it is certainly an old bicycle:

14608697_1128892983868247_6808509000435053601_o.jpg

14500236_1128893090534903_5169304248735680341_o.jpg

Great find!! My Pierce Roadster has the same crank arms, sprocket and nickel forks. Yours has much better paint, it's held up really well.
PierceCrank.jpg

PierceBB3.jpg

Headlamps too! I'm jealous. Those grips are the bees knees.;)
Enjoy yourself, what a great bike and incredible condition. Can you tell if the photo is the same bike?

Bet regards,
Gary

The bike in the old photo looks like it has a smaller O.D. frame tube set that the Pierce, but who knows.....

Locomotion, my father was a dealer/racer of British motorcycles in the late 50s and early 60s and we still have a few laying around. That was my 1962 Norton 650ss that got into that photo. Maybe if someone on this forum has a thread for old motorbikes I can participate in it, but I would rather keep this thread about the Pierce....

This is a photo from the estate which this Pierce came from. It looks like it might be the bike back in the day, nickel fork etc.. What do you think??? Even if it is not the bike, it is one of four or five old photos from the TOC this family had on hand showing bicycles.

14608916_1133274530096759_2488414743970594903_o.jpg

In case anyone missed them, these are pages from a 1904 catalog that was up on Ebay for sale. Looks like my bike could be a Men's Special model 513 with the nickeled fork.

14670710_1139331582824387_257804514179335798_n.jpg

14702459_1139331602824385_133478401480916937_n.jpg

Back