When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pierce Tire disaster, Woe is Moe!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

gkeep

I live for the CABE
Hi All you experts,

A few moths ago I took my teens Pierce for a nice car ride to show some coworkers. A couple admirers took a few turns around the parking lot and it politely posed for photos. Back int eh van in fine shape. When I got home from work and pulled it our the rear tire was completely flat. WHat!!? NOOOOooo!
Just before putting it back in the car one of my old buddies at work said if I ever wanted to sell it I should talk to him first. I told him between ordering the 37x642 tires from Australia and the tight fit, required a day of fierce wrestling and letting them sit in the sun to soften up, I'd sell it to him the first time I got a flat. Was this karma biting back?

Take a look at what I found today when I finally pulled one side off the rim to get at the tube. Those VEE Rubber 28x13/8 have some nasty steel bead sticking out. Seems to have ripped the tire open.
Is this tire a total goner? Is there some secret method to repair this one a nurse it along? Only put about 25 miles on these.
20170408_162606_resized.jpg

20170408_162626_resized 2.jpg
20170408_162639_resized 2.jpg

Is it just time to get rider rims, some 700c rims laced to the old hubs and retire these rims? I like to keep things as original as possible.

Ideas? Thoughts? Brickbats? Don Rickles one liners? (RIP master jokester).

Thanks friends,
Gary

Wrap some duct tape or a bunch of tire patches around the exposed wire and it is probably good for a few more miles. A thornproof tube is also harder to poke a hole in.

Thanks for the reply Andrew. I was thinking something along those lines to eke out a few more local rides on the tire.

I hope Emperor Norton the First returned you velocipede.

Best regards,
Gary

Are you putting a clincher on a single tube rim?
Hi,
Here is a shot from a couple years ago when I started cleaning up the bike. It shows the rim fairly well. And one after cleaning up and getting tires on .
PierceRim2.jpg
PierceCrank.jpg
20150716_184604_resized.jpg
[

Last edited:
Back