When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre '64 Huret spoke protectors on Ebay

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Missed them.... Thankfully I have an extra solid one...

What is the diameter on yours Lee? There were two sizes of the aluminum Huret protectors, one for the 25 tooth freewheel and the larger size for the 1963 28 tooth freewheel. Installing the 4 3/4 piece on 25 tooth looks good but the smaller plate on a 28 tooth just doesn't cut it.

Thankfully I landed one of these with the help of a generous member here. Thank You!!

Exactly what are we looking at here. What year and model Schwinn's were these used on? Solid dish type compared to this open slotted type, how does this figure in?

I have a 1960 Continental and just assumed it never had a spoke protector, is this correct?

Thanks in advance for any input!

The 60 and early 61 Continentals did not have a spoke protector. Both the Varsity and Conti were first equipped with a protector when they were equipped with Huret Derailleurs. For the Conti's it was mid year 61 and I believe it was 1962 for the Varsity.

Very interesting, so it appears that Schwinn linked the use of the Huret spoke protectors with Huret Derailleurs. Thanks for clearing this up! I was also unaware that the solid and slotted spoke protectors were different sizes, but of course you would need different sizes for 25T vs 28T freewheel sprockets. That begs the question as to what spoke protector was used on the '63-'64 Sierra 30T freewheel?

were these correct on the Corvette 5 speeds also?

During my involvement with the 5 speed Corvettes I've come to the conclusion that the Corvette was only issued with the solid (smaller) protector, although I've seen a couple, and own one, with the larger slotted piece. I'm pretty sure those were early replacements before the large chrome 64 protectors became the norm for a replacement on the Corvettes. My late 61 Conti has the 25T freewheel and the small solid protector. I have a couple 63 Varsity's and spare wheel sets and the original sets have the larger solid protector. Eric may be able to tell us what bikes the slotted piece was used on, and I'm betting it was only on the 1963 models. I personally have not seen or had a small diameter slotted protector and I'm not sure they exist.

Unfortunately all my photo documentation was burned in the big 2014 computer crash along with the banning at the SBF. Although some of my photos still exist on the SBF, I cannot access them.

Eric may be able to tell us what bikes the slotted piece was used on, and I'm betting it was only on the 1963 models.

Unfortunately, I do not have the definitive answer on this and have read the threads on this over the years with interest.
All that I can say for sure is that my '62 Super Continental has one of these slotted 4.75" protectors(it also has a 14-28 freewheel), and I've never found one of the solid disc type protectors on a lightweight, though I think I remember reading that others have.

Lee, I'm pretty sure that the '64 Sierra with it's 30t freewheel came with the larger chrome plated steel protector that the other '64 derailleur equipped bikes also came with.

Back