When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Prewar guard issue

-
BuickMike - I think the initial factory intent may have been that the flat ones were painted and curved ones were chromed but I've seen both styles with both finishes. But mostly consistent as I described above.

Cycle trucks and other straight down tube bikes used the upper 2 holes for the bracket with a dummy rivet on the lower vs upper hole.

IMG_0091.JPG

IMG_0091.JPG

I read this post with interest as I just got done installing a pre-war feather guard on a 41 boys schwinn with the same problem. The guard is loose fitting, not only on the down tube but also where it connects to the frame above the rear dropout. I cut a thin wood wedge to slip in between the clamp and the frame to take up slack. Hate jerry-rigging stuff like that but that's the kind of guy I am. At least now I know, it's a girl's chain guard.
I would imagine with the lack of complete boys bikes and the large amount of girls bikes out there that have been parted most of the loose guards out there are for girl's bikes.

If someone has just the detachable side of the clamp I'd be interested in that. Want to try that first and see if it works.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

That gauge of metal could be re shaped to tighten down on a smaller tube.
To do it perfectly though, so you'd never notice it....some could do it, some could not...:)

Any outer bracket that has less than half a full radius and leaves a gap when tightened will clamp it down. It would take about ten minutes to make if you don't have one.

Back